Author Topic: Giant African Land Snails  (Read 1639 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Giant African Land Snails
« on: March 05, 2007, 18:26:14 »
I was given 2 teeny baby land snails last week for my son and i just wondered if anyone knew anything about them as babies.  I have lots of info on adult snails but these are really tiny!

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Giant African Land Snails
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 18:30:33 »
Give them cuttlefish and they'll soon grow thick and healthy shells!

Care for them the same as you would the adults, just be careful when you pick them up, don't want any squishing! :)
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:50:10 »
I had 3 as a kid - Rod, Jane and Freddy. I used to walk down to the fruit and veg shop & get their lettuces that were past their best for free. We were pretty skint. They had an amazing appetite - a lettuce or 2 per day! I kept them in a fish tank, used a fish tank thermostat (NOT A HEATERSTAT), connected to a lightbulb which it switched on & off for heat (probably about 25 degrees C).

I also gave them all the cuttlefsh bones they could eat.

They started laying eggs (in compost) which never hatched, and then one day after cleaning them out, I accidently left the thermostat out of the tank, with the light bulb (heater) inside. They smelt great as they were slowly cooked alive. I was traumatised.

Excellent pets though, provided you don't cook 'em.

I still have the shells somewhere in my mother's house - I think she varnished them.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 15:20:52 »
I had 3 as a kid - Rod, Jane and Freddy. I used to walk down to the fruit and veg shop & get their lettuces that were past their best for free. We were pretty skint. They had an amazing appetite - a lettuce or 2 per day! I kept them in a fish tank, used a fish tank thermostat (NOT A HEATERSTAT), connected to a lightbulb which it switched on & off for heat (probably about 25 degrees C).

I also gave them all the cuttlefsh bones they could eat.

They started laying eggs (in compost) which never hatched, and then one day after cleaning them out, I accidently left the thermostat out of the tank, with the light bulb (heater) inside. They smelt great as they were slowly cooked alive. I was traumatised.

Excellent pets though, provided you don't cook 'em.

made me laugh out loud,  ;D ;D ;D, awful, aren't I  ;D

I still have the shells somewhere in my mother's house - I think she varnished them.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 12:29:20 »
Don't let them escape.  :o  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal