Author Topic: modules -  (Read 5044 times)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re:modules -
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2004, 16:29:18 »
By golly, you're right it does - many thanks

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 17:50:41 »
Jolly decent, old chap!!
So what size cells?
And do you push them out from the bottom, or use a 2 pronged fork. Or do they just pull/tip out?
Some never seem to want to give up their creation. = Tim

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2004, 08:55:39 »
1. I just knew someone would ask that - so I forgot to check! - I will and report back.

2. They do have a large hole so that they can be prodded from below, but the broad beans had such solid root masses that they pulled out

Phil

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2004, 13:48:57 »
Finally I measured the cells, they're 4.5cm square by 11cm deep and cost £5.95 for 3 or £9.95 for 6

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 16:07:08 »
They are a great size - only prob is so many to a tray.
I am tending to use  20-24s. Pity. = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2004, 16:34:30 »
I find I am cutting my trays up into double rows. A lot of the time I only want 8 or 10 plants, or less of a particular thing.

Jeremy

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2004, 17:33:34 »
I agree on the size "problem" but I have 4ft x 15ft beds on the allotment so 1 tray (=60 modules) =

half a bed of broad or dwarf french beans
2 beds of sweet corn
1 bed of runner beans

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 17:15:53 »
I like to grow most of my crops in modules or pots. It seems to guarantee a good start for the plants rather than toughing it out against pests and the weather out in the soil.

I sow large seeded plants in modules but until recently grew fine seeded plants like lettuce in trays then transplanted. However a recent debate on this site concerning modules v trays, convinced me to try direct sowing into modules with some lettuce. I sowed 2/3 seeds per module and the germination rate was fine.

The problem started when I realised the plants had out grown their modules before i was ready to plant out, so decided to pot them up into larger cells to grow on for a bit longer. The 'plugs' in each cell then disintegrated as i was trying to remove them, and I ended up 'pr*cking out' plants far larger than i would use this technique on.
Not that this is realy a problem I am sure the plants will be fine, it just kind of defeats the object of modular sowing and growing doesnt it?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2004, 17:32:30 »
A little planning helps??
Including the right sized cell for the job?
My prob this year has been overpotting.

Cutting the trays - of course!! The only things I grow 60 of are leeks. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2004, 22:30:58 »
Richard, I find so long as the trays have been well watered an hour or so before you want to start potting on, they come out relatively easily.  I use a pencil to prod though the bottom of the cells to push the plug out.  I do agree with Tim regarding using the right size modules for the plant and generally, unless I am slow at getting things planted, I find the plants stay in their modules until they are planted out.

I cut mine also Tim, or, sow in rows and label each row accordingly.  

I love module trays!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2004, 06:45:52 »
Rows? Great if their timing is similar. More often than not, I find that things need different treatment - of warmth, light or exposure for h/off.

The pencil? Equally, some have such piddling holes that the only thing you can get in will break up the root-ball. I'm using a wee 2 pronged fork. = Tim

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2004, 18:24:45 »
I am still learning/experimenting with modules to an extent, though when the plants have a good rootball, and they just pop out into (pick one) pot/larger module/soil, it makes the effort worthwhile.  When though the rootball falls apart when you try to remove the plug, it can be a nightmare.

One thing I have learned noew is that you shouldnt water the cells too soon befroe potting them on - moist but not wet and they pop out fine. If soggy they diintegrate into a mass of compost and roots. Ditto if too dry.  ::) That was the problem I was talking about - the cells were dry, I gave them a soak then tried to remove the plugs - not a good idea!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal