Author Topic: Allotment therapy  (Read 826 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Allotment therapy
« on: March 04, 2007, 21:01:33 »
For many years I have been, shall we say, not very happy mentally.  My fab GP, in the UK, kept trying to get me to take drug therapy.  I always refused as I knew I had to sort out the cause not mask it with medication (this is obviously a personal thing).  I moved to Brittany last summer.  We chose this house because we fell in love with our (now) garden.  It has not been an easy transition, but just being able to go into the garden and get my hands dirty in the soil is better than any drug.

Knowing what I do now I really wish I had taken an allotment in the UK.  The tranquility, gratification and friendship (our Breton neighbours are now giving us advice on sowing times) gained through being outside is wonderful. 

This site has been a major resource of information.  The camaraderie for everyone to succeed is something that I have not experience in a long time.  Thank you.

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Allotment therapy
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 21:14:23 »
I am a firm believer in the theraputic qualities of being outdorrs and gardening. Even to just go for a stroll in the countryside makes me feel so much better. To dig the soil, plant and reap is amazing. During the summer, if things are getting a bit stressful, I often wander down the garden, deadheading and weeding. The world doesnt always seem a better place afterwards, but I certainly feel in a better state to cope with it.

The garden slows the whole pace of life down. After all, the only 'quick fix' in the garden is using the heated propagator to speed up germination by a few days!

Oh to have a life where I could spend as much time as I wanted in the garden.

cj :)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 21:16:01 »
There's been an interesting thread on this topic: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,25978.0

It's been too wet here and I've been too busy to spend any time on my plot for the last couple of weeks  :'(.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 21:20:49 »
I agree, gardening and being close to nature is very therapeutic (sp?).  The exercise, fresh air, learning and rewards are good both physically and mentally. I can't imagine life without gardening in it! :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:13:05 »
My allotment keeps me sane - I am totally relaxed when I am down there, even when doing all the heavy jobs - if that makes sense. And then at 10 a.m the bell goes and we all go down to the canteen shed , have a cup ot tea and discuss blackfly etc and put the world to rights. And if my husband doesn't come back with the car soon I am going to be late getting down there!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal