Author Topic: sweatpea help  (Read 3213 times)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: sweatpea help
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 21:38:28 »
Very few of my saved seed germinated.   :'(
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 13:18:55 »
Yes Emaggie they do come true. Sometimes you will get a sport but not very often. I do believe they are self pollinating. In the past when I grew them I used sweetie bags to put on the drying seed heads, but of course they don't put sweeties in paper bags now. They will dry without the bags on but as is often the case the seeds will fall out when they are ready and I dont feel  like furking around for them.I grow the seed plants sparately cos the early seeds are usually the best and they need a long time to dry properly. You can't save seed thats not ripe. I had better germination with my own than bought seeds. I'm growing some this year that I haven't grown before so should prove interesting.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 16:08:13 »
These sweet peas have been planted out for 2 weeks. They are just starting to throw up the really strong shoot that I want. When thats big enough to fasten to the stick I will take the straggler off. These are my seed plants so will probably let them throw 2 shoots. My others will only be allowed 1 stem cos I want big flowers.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 17:14:04 »
My sweet peas are very leggy, I'm guessing because I have kept them indoors in the warmth for too long and they've grown upwards too fast.
Is it worth carrying on with them, or should I try sowing another batch?

SP x

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 17:18:07 »
I don't usually sow in the autumn but last year when I was clearing away my sweetpea plants I found a few seed pods and sowed them and put them in the cold frame.

These were potted up 9/11 and this is how they look today;

All I plan on doing with these is sticking in a few 8ft canes an making a few obelisks for my son and daughter.

The one from purchased seed which I will keep for myself and which I sowed at the end of February are about 6"(150mm) high now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal