Author Topic: Globe Artichokes  (Read 1655 times)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Globe Artichokes
« on: May 07, 2004, 16:37:56 »

Has anyone experience growing globe artichokes?

What soil do they like, care regime, how long to cropping, how to over winter them, varieties, etc.

I am thinking about a couple on the allotment. Soil is clay but deep. Open aspect though partially shaded in the middle of the day at the bottom of the site. Fairly well drained as far as clay goes thanks to a gentle slop with a stream 10 past the end of the plot. Not sure on the pH of the soil yet, to be tested this weekend.

Thanks

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
Re:Globe Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 17:37:13 »
An extract from my website to see if that will help you;

This plant is short-lived, and not fully hardy and should be given winter protection.

Remove insulation materials about mid-April.

It can reach a height of 1.5 metres (5ft)

* Week 11; Sow seed in trays of seed compost maintain a minimum temperature of 16 C (60F).

Prick out when large enough to handle into 75mm (3") pots of potting compost a place in a cool frost free place until planting out time.

* Week 20; Plant out the rooted suckers and new seedlings in a sheltered, sunny position, in fertile, well-drained soil.

* Around Week 26, the edible flower heads should be removed while still in the bud stage.

The edible parts of the flower head are the fleshy base of each scale and the artichoke heart, which is the bottom of the flower and has a better flavour.

After harvesting cut down the foliage (around Week 28-30) to promote new growth.

* Week 42; Remove the 200mm (8") long suckers, or side-growths, and pot up into 100-125mm (4"-5") pots of potting compost and over winter in a frost free greenhouse or frame

* Week 44; Cut the stems down of one and two-year-old plants to about 500mm (18") high  .

Discard three-year-old plants, having detached the long suckers for propagation.

Draw soil up to the stems and cover the area with a 300mm (12") layer of straw or bracken; do not cover the top of the ridges.

Alternatively,  use the foliage and additional straw or bracken to protect the crowns from frost.

* Week 45; Prepare a sunny site that is protected from strong winds.

Deeply dig and manure a piece of well-drained ground now in preparation for planting next year.

The Gardener

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal