Author Topic: dodgy digi camera  (Read 1802 times)

sarah

• Hectare
dodgy digi camera
« on: March 04, 2007, 08:24:07 »
does anyone know why my digital camera keeps thinking its batteries are run down when they are not?  it uses rechargables and thinks they are run down after about ten minuites and are clearly not.  after giving me a couple of warnings it closes down. i have tried a new set of batteries and even tried a new charger. its deffo the camera. 

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: dodgy digi camera
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:36:38 »
are you using the right kind of rechargeables for you camera. Have you tried a non rechargeable set?
Does it work ok with mains power?

The only thing it could be except for a duff camera (or batteries) is dirty contacts. Clean the battery contacts with a little achohol and cotton bud and see if it works any better

Glow

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 08:39:25 »
Some of those rechargeable batteries have what they term as a memory, which means that if you do not fully discharge them they do not fully charge next time and get steadily worse. Try some new batteries. A good battery charger will discharge them  if there is any life left, before filling them up again.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 09:10:18 »
thanks guys

are you using the right kind of rechargeables for you camera. Have you tried a non rechargeable set?
Does it work ok with mains power?

The only thing it could be except for a duff camera (or batteries) is dirty contacts. Clean the battery contacts with a little achohol and cotton bud and see if it works any better

Glow

yes/no/dont know where the cable is to try.  ::)

will try non rechargables.

will clean the contacts   :-[

Some of those rechargeable batteries have what they term as a memory, which means that if you do not fully discharge them they do not fully charge next time and get steadily worse. Try some new batteries. A good battery charger will discharge them  if there is any life left, before filling them up again.

ok i didnt know that.  will investimagate further. :)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 12:21:27 »
Rechargeables are 1.2v, whereas 'normal' batteries are 1.5v.
So the 'worn out battery' detection circuit will kick in earlier.

Put the rechargeables in a torch and leave it on to drain them completely.
Recharge them and then repeat a couple of times.
This will get rid of the 'memory effect' which stops them from holding a full charge.

If you are considering buying new ones, go for NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) ones
which don't suffer from this problem.

Check your camera instructions, as it may say not to use rechargeables.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal