Author Topic: My new 'Gardening' training!  (Read 1510 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
My new 'Gardening' training!
« on: February 27, 2007, 19:44:09 »
I've tried for quite awhile now to get myself employed a (legally) as a gardener here in Belgium. Ha! Because I don't speak pretty close to fluent Dutch I'm told I don't have a chance....although I've 'spoken' to many people employed as gardeners who don't speak Dutch at all...! These people work illegally and quite a lot of what I've seen is of a high standard. After presenting my credentials and past history of work carried out in the UK...ie; Yorkshire Dales N.P. and Forestry Commission work, had a garden/allotment since 1960, built gardens from scratch and put in my head 50+ years of experience, etc, etc... the local government office actually allowed me 6 months ago to work for disabled people for the princely sum of £2.60 an hour. They won't employ me because of the language 'problem'...rather strange that disabled people don't mind the 'problem' and in fact now those people insist that 'The Englishman must come, no-one else...' so while I'm quite busy in that direction I'm not fully employed for the fist time in my 47 year work history.

So, me thinks I'll put up for a government course in 'Groentuineren' which is, so I'm told, run to a very high standard. It means getting up at 5.30 and getting back at 7pm and travelling 4 hours a day, but I thought, 'This must be worthwhile'....Well, just finished day 2 today.....and I'm going to keep a diary! I get the feeling, even at this early stage, that all is not what it seems.....
Watch this space!

jo9919

Re: My new 'Gardening' training!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 19:57:04 »
I look forward to reading about your 'antics'.

My most favourite place on earth is the Yorkshire Dales. I live in Leeds and we 'escape' to the Dales at any opportunity. We always end up around Burnsall, Grassington and Kettlethorpe (we just love their Scarecrow displays). Living in Leeds, we are on the doorstep of the Dales so to speak, and count ourselves very lucky.

Jo.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 16:04:37 »
Good luck Kenkew a bit of a slog but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, I speak a bit of double dutch myself. ##***##*   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 18:40:14 »
Been away 'training' today for 13 hours....I'll try and get that 'logged' this weekend....bit k-for-nackered tonight to go into it.

It all started last November.....

and now I'm off to bed...

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 19:56:15 »
Sweet dreams................ kenkew and I wish you all the luck in the world with your adventure 

keep us posted :D
BB

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:04:30 »
Look forward to reading the diary, Ken! Bet you can teach them a thing or two!

I'm another Dales lover- what made you move to Belgium??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal