Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Allotment Strategy

<< < (3/3)

ken (69):
Hi Alan....hadn't realised the Open Access strategy, will follow up locally, and Kay, no new tenants so probably makes sense to amalgamate,and Mayor is a property developer.The furthest site has good light soil and the nearest, just round the corner, is hard clay. We were given the opportunity to relocate but I and some others decided to pack in.Do you think that the strategy, national or local, whatever, allows that food is very cheap to buy in the shops.Not organic, I know, but with tinned veg.(enough for two servings) averaging 17p and bagged pots being even cheaper per serving.......er...perhaps not a good thing to say on an allotment board. :-)

djbrenton:
Part of a succesful strategy might be to encourage Associations. In Nottingham, the direct-let sites have occupancy levels somewhere around 50%, and the Association run ( Council owned ) ones nearer 90%. The site I run has 135 x 600 sq yd plots with 126 currently let and the rest likely to be taken during the coming year. I can't help thinking this is down to having an active committee running and promoting the site. Is this difference in occupancy levels the norm around the country?

ken (69):
As an allotmenteer of some experience,my criteria for an allotment is that the soil ought to be at least medium rather than clay , and the nearness of the site is important.It means bugger all if the officials of allotment allocations carry out surveys s without taking this sort of thing into account.Local conditions are important and a million surveys will not matter if the allotment is hard clay and  ten miles away.You officials need to get it together...my ideal allotment is just over the fence and light to medium soil.Response welcome...Regards Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version