Author Topic: Allotment Strategy  (Read 7925 times)

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
Allotment Strategy
« on: May 07, 2004, 08:57:33 »
I Know this may seem a bouring subject but I am trying to write one for our allotments as part of a best value approch to inproving the facilities.
Do any of you out there or the council's you rent from have an allotment strategy????

If so I am interested in getting a copy or any information.

If anyone can Help it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Alan  

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re:Allotment Strategy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 12:07:39 »
Hi Alan
I'd suggest you google under allotments strategy I got a number of hits
AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 18:03:08 »
A very good book is  The Allotment Handbook By Sophis Andrews ISBN 1-899233-10-5
Len

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 17:49:21 »
Thanks every one for your input. Its a mine field out there.

Once again

Thanks

Cheers

Alan Yarwood
Allotment Development Officer
Halton's Healthy Living Project.
HBC

Oh no my full title as been reveiled. :)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 23:08:19 »

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 00:32:06 »
Gavin, Thanks for the info.

All the best

Alan

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 00:37:12 »
P.S From above .
Will anyone else admit to being a local authority / Healthy living project Allotment Manager . It would be interesting to find out and exchange idears.

Regards

Alan Yarwood

HHLP / HBC

Kay

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 10:03:43 »
As far as allotment strategies goes loads of local authorities are writing them at the moment linking in with the Open spaces strategies.  Thankfully allotment sites are recognised as improtant green spaces as well as having a recreational function.

I'm in the process of putting some strategies together for small authorities in the noirth east and an invaulable guide has been the publication "growing in the community - a good practice guide for the management of allotments" ISNB code 184049 204 X.  It's not as dry as it sounds, honest.

Alan - I too work in health and allotment regeneration, supporting local authorities and running projects with allotment associations in Co. Durham.  

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 10:13:24 »
The 'strategy' in my little town is to rationalise six sites down to two and sell orf the remainder.All seems to be done over the last five years , my own plot on Oct 4th.

Kay

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 15:34:02 »
Ken

6 down to 2 seems a bit harsh.  Don't know the details of the sites, area or the consultation process so I can't comment further, but I hope you've been given 'adequate provision' if your site is closing and was statutory.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 15:57:54 »
Hi Alan....hadn't realised the Open Access strategy, will follow up locally, and Kay, no new tenants so probably makes sense to amalgamate,and Mayor is a property developer.The furthest site has good light soil and the nearest, just round the corner, is hard clay. We were given the opportunity to relocate but I and some others decided to pack in.Do you think that the strategy, national or local, whatever, allows that food is very cheap to buy in the shops.Not organic, I know, but with tinned veg.(enough for two servings) averaging 17p and bagged pots being even cheaper per serving.......er...perhaps not a good thing to say on an allotment board. :-)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 23:30:47 »
Part of a succesful strategy might be to encourage Associations. In Nottingham, the direct-let sites have occupancy levels somewhere around 50%, and the Association run ( Council owned ) ones nearer 90%. The site I run has 135 x 600 sq yd plots with 126 currently let and the rest likely to be taken during the coming year. I can't help thinking this is down to having an active committee running and promoting the site. Is this difference in occupancy levels the norm around the country?

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 16:26:09 »
As an allotmenteer of some experience,my criteria for an allotment is that the soil ought to be at least medium rather than clay , and the nearness of the site is important.It means bugger all if the officials of allotment allocations carry out surveys s without taking this sort of thing into account.Local conditions are important and a million surveys will not matter if the allotment is hard clay and  ten miles away.You officials need to get it together...my ideal allotment is just over the fence and light to medium soil.Response welcome...Regards Ken

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal