Author Topic: Sloe Gin  (Read 31280 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Sloe Gin
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2005, 14:49:12 »
Fraid I have always binned ours, but next time will take Jennym's advice! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

lizt

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2006, 17:42:47 »
Just to say I tried making Sloe Gin for the first time this year and it was wonderful.  My mother supplied the sloes, I made it and I gave some to my sisters in law as part of Christmas presents.  I am now very popular.  Kills colds wonderfully!! :D :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2006, 22:36:20 »
Damson gin is my fave, a richer smoother taste, but they are both devine!

Last year I used the sloes and made sloe gin jelly.  Very good it was to, but didn't make a lot.....the way I did it was.....
Place the steeped sloes in a preserving pan and just about cover them with water.  Bring slowely to the boil and little simmer and bubble for about 30-40 minutes to try and extract ever last bit of flavour.  I then went in with a potato masher and squished and mashed and squelched them up.  I then strained the mix through a double thick jelly bag for a good 24 hours.

I measured the liquid, and for every pint, I used a pound of sugar.  Bring the liquid up to a rolling boil and boil for about 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the sugar until it has dissolved.  Put back on the heat, bring back to a rolling boil and cook until setting point is reached.  Bottle in the usual way!  ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2006, 17:19:05 »
What do you think the alcohol content is of the jelly  :o, would hate to get breathalyzed on the way to work!!   ;D

EJ, if I cut the sloes with apples to stretch the jelly quantity, would a 50/50 mix be too much do you think?

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2006, 21:22:24 »
Don't waste the sloes.
After the draining, melt some cooking chocolate, coat the berries.
Cool & enjoy!!
Too late now perhaps??
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal