Author Topic: Preparing for the year ahead  (Read 2613 times)

(a)ndy

• Not So New ...
Preparing for the year ahead
« on: March 02, 2007, 21:54:30 »
Having only put up our greenhouse last Easter we have managed to successfully grow all sorts of plants and vegetables in it over 2006. Now we don't know how we ever managed without it.

I disconnected the automatic vents over the winter to stop the storms lifting up the glass and smashing it. I was a bit surprised when I looked at the thermometer and saw that the temperature had reached a whopping 43 degrees C during January!!.

Anyway, my question to members is...

With the greenhouse getting so hot our compost has dried out. Is it OK to hydrate it again and use it or should be just put it on the compost heap and get some fresh stuff.

What are your experiences?

Andrew

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Preparing for the year ahead
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 22:17:46 »
Is that compost in the boarder or containers?  if the former then I would suggest adding some fresh compost & watering - if the latter then replace it.  I've just bought a min/max thermometre & am amazed at how hot it can get - over 30 today.

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 18:05:00 »
Hi Andy.
 If compost is completely dry it's hard to get it to wet again, i would buy new and mix around a quarter of the bag of dry mix with a full bag of the new compost.
 Or mix it in your boarders when you do your spring dig.
 Bob

(a)ndy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 09:06:30 »
Thanks for your replies. The compost is in bags and there is quite a bit left.  I suspected that I shouldn't use the compost so I will mix it in to my borders rather than try to grow anything in it.

It has got so dry it runs through my fingers like sand.

I guess that I won't be leaving any bags of compost in the greenhouse over winter again then :)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 15:49:23 »
Sorry didn't realise it was in bags.  Advice here generally seems to be not to use last year's bagged compost for potting though can be added to the ground etc.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 18:41:10 »
So you didn't shut the bags up, Andy? Tsk, tsk!!

With my low standards, I do use last year's compost - so long as it has been quite dry. Can't afford to get fresh!

Auto vents? I seem to recall this being mentioned some time ago, & the need to have them on a restraining tie? I don't understand this. We have 8 & never give them a thought.

(a)ndy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 19:26:33 »
Thanks for the comment Tim. I hadn't thought to seal the bags and never thought it would get that hot. I will seal them in future :).

After posting I reconnected the autovents and went to the effort of buying some chain from B&Q to limit the opening of the vents.

At the start of last week we had a few bad gales here on the Isle of Man (I think that we get them quite a lot  ;)) When I got home from work the wind had blown the vents so hard they had snapped the chain. I had to disconnect them again and tie down the vent openings.

It was frightening being in the greenhouse in that weather. Each time a strong gust of wind hit the greenhouse I could see and feel it distort. I was waiting for it to break on top of me but I guess that they are a lot stronger than they first appear.

Thankfully there has been no damage and I look forward to getting planting over the next few weeks.

Andrew

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal