Author Topic: Watering tips.  (Read 2187 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Watering tips.
« on: March 11, 2007, 07:39:06 »
Hello,

now I have lots of greenhouse space, I will need to make watering easier and more efficient. Has anyone got any tips for me. My greenhouse on the lottie is 8x20 and there is no water on site. I have a few water buts, but they wont last long in a drought.

Thanks

cj :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Watering tips.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 15:50:57 »
as supersprout would have told us, mulch everywhere, after watering, to conserve moisture  :-\ :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 16:55:17 »
Our plot is very dry so we have 3 water butts plus loads of straw bales lol.At the moment they are keeping the kids in the pen,
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 21:29:16 »
I have bought some growbag trays. They are designed to hold growbags in, so they can be watered through the growing season without leaving a mess underneath. I put all my seedling trays in here with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch inch of compost in the bottom. This acts as a resovoir. Fill the tray to the top with water. The seedling plants in their trays slowly absorb the moisture as and when they need it. I usually top it up twice weekly.

(These growbag trays cost around £8 each from B&Q and HOMEBASE.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 21:34:44 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 17:30:44 »
Fill the tray to the top with water. The seedling plants in their trays slowly absorb the moisture as and when they need it.

Don't your seedlings get over wet??

If I was going this route I think I would use a piece of capillary matting on the trays rather than water.

Whats in my mind is; if the weather turns really cold, then your seedlings might 'catch a cold' so to speak.

Similarly if it gets very warm the humidity around the plants might be quite high and introduce fungal diseases.

Using this process with mature plants might work but I would have thought it a bit risky with seedlings.

It is a known fact that more plants are lost due to OVER watering rather than under watering.

I hope you don't mind my comments but I would hate it if you lost your seedlings and I said nothing!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 19:20:27 »
CJ
Are you asking about growing in the borders of the greenhouse or on the shelving?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 21:50:26 »
Hello Teresa,

the borders. They are full, well, half empty of very dry , miserable looking compost at the moment. I was thinking of replacing it with well rotted garden compost if I have enough.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 22:45:17 »
Hi CJ,
I would just add to it this year, rotted garden compost, well rotted farmyard manure. spent compost from pots at home all will add to the bulk and help to retain moisture a good watering afterwards will help speed things up. The worms will do the rest asuming the border is directly on to the earth the moisture in the earth should keep plants going.
Shading the greenhouse helps cheap way is watered down white emulsion paint  and brush/sponge it on.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 22:47:58 »
Thanks for all the advice ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal