Author Topic: Allotments in Kings Lynn  (Read 2003 times)

knbsallotment

• Half Acre
Allotments in Kings Lynn
« on: March 02, 2007, 21:39:53 »
Hi all. My partner and I have 4 plots in Kings Lynn, so basically one giant allotment. We wanted to organise a community group, encouraging the kids from the school my partner works in to come and "grow their own". We have considered giving up a portion of our plot to the kids, under our supervision of course! As it is impossible for the kids to grow things at school, as, due to the area, things tend to get vandalised - so our allotment seemed like the perfect choice. My question to you is - how on earth do we go about this? Will I need insurance if it's a voluntary community group etc?
Looking from the outside in...

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Allotments in Kings Lynn
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 22:35:47 »
Smashing idea KNBS, hope you get it started.  Can you try & locate your local community worker I'm sure they will be able to advise.  Bet the first thing they mention is full CRB checks all round.

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 22:52:46 »
No idea! ::) :-[

Just wanted to say it sounds a wonderful thing to do - wishing you every success :)

knbsallotment

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 22:18:56 »
Thanks for the support guys. CRB's are no problem as we all work with children, be it in schools or groups. I am on a council managed site, so don't really know who to talk to, other than maybe the property services officer? There are so many empty allotments - I would love to put a few more of them to good use!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 17:29:39 »
Hi knbs, what a great idea using some of your plot as a community project!  How about approaching the head of the school your partner works at & pitching the idea at them, they will then probably approach the local ed auth for guidance on how to set it up.

Alternatively, you could speak to some in social services at your local council to see if they have any advice regarding offering this opportunity to young offenders or similar groups?  I know in the town where we live there are a couple of young offenders institutions, and a lot of allotment crime, so perhaps educating the youngsters about the joys of growing your own might kill two birds with one stone so to speak.  Good luck x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

knbsallotment

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 19:14:51 »
Great idea kitten. I'll let you know how it goes!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 18:31:16 »
Good luck, hope it works out for you
Lorna

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal