Author Topic: am i being daft here?  (Read 2061 times)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
am i being daft here?
« on: March 25, 2007, 04:47:05 »
morning all....................guess who didnt put the clocks forward..........so im sat here thinking.........a dangerous occupation for me!
my thoughts are on new allotmenteers this morning..............or maybe older less agile allotmenteers!
we all know how much hard work there can be in the lottie..........we all give the same advice.........(hard graft...........dont get disheartened.............youll get there.ect.ect......)and its all true............but dont you just wish it could be made that little bit easier?
this time of year.(well..around here anyway).sees a growing interest in people taking allotments............neck high in brambles.nettles.........ect.a daunting task!
what about this then!
ive got this idea.................and im gonna run it past you knowlegable folk first.....
a sort of allotment work share thingy.......................
a group of people on a site all get together...say one saturday morning.........and all get stuck into one of the groups plot!
the plot holder can state what work needs doing.......and the group as a whole do as much as the plotholder wants!
the following week/day/whenever is arranged.the group move on to the next plotholder in the groups plot and does the same!
i know this has many pitfalls..............but think of the benefits...........if all involved are keen and willing to make the effort.
ask yourselves.......how many times have you wished you had that extra pair of hands...........how many people have you seen give up at the sheer size of the task................
ok............so my idea isnt perfect.....loads of things to be considered...........just wondered what the rest of you thought?
it might seem like pie in the sky sort of stuff..............but with fine tuning and a bit of thought......dont you all think this could work?
i can think of a few negatives.............ie...........someone gets the work on their plot done then isnt seen again..........but with willing participants.this shouldnt happen........and the bond that allotmenteers seem to share should become stronger dont you think!

c`mon folks..................help me pad this idea out before i approach the commitee............give me your thoughts...pros and cons.............ect

ps............prehaps somewhere this sort of thing happens....if you and your fellow plotholders do this sort of thing id be interested in hearing details.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 04:51:13 by marestail murderer »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: am i being daft here?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 08:54:13 »
I think it's a brillant idea..with a few provisos..everyone has to be of the same mind/ willing to work as hard as others/ turn up when everybody else does/ not moan that theirs is last on the list..I've seen it at work on programmes that are communal allotments, large plots, lots of people sharing the tasks..it wouldn't work on ours..it's always the same people who do all the work..
If you can get a small group of like minded folk together, who knows ..good luck  ;D

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:19:17 »
It wouldn't work on our site because I'm the only one that ever does any work but its a great idea.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 12:10:00 »
I think it's a great idea! Would probably work best with a small group so you do all know each other and one person doesn't disappear after their work is done. ;) And so far most of my 'big' jobs have been much easier with even 2-3 people.

So far I've been lucky with friends who consider it a TREAT to come help me! ;D Last time two of them came to help and then even made me a roast dinner afterwards!

Tina.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 14:19:59 »
I'm really lucky too. Just have to start on some major task and one of my neighbours will arrive and offer to help. Also the committee organise to rotovate plots for people that are ill or for new folk if they want the plot rotovated.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 22:05:31 »
You'd need to keep it to a fairly small number, though, as if everyone wanted help with, say, digging, and only had weekends to spare, it could take a whole season! It's a great idea though, and really fosters the community (without rivalry) spirit that helps everyone get along.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 07:16:20 »
If I was to post a question on here, say, how deep should I dig. I would get 10 different answers. The same would happen with a group of allotmenteers, and it would all end in tears.

Now if you really want it to work, I could come up with my bullwhip to make them all dig the right depth and make sure there are no shirkers.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:57:55 »
thanks for the input everyone..........
i can see some of the potential problems............time of digging ect...........but many hand make light work.(if there is such a thing on the lottie)........6 people with spades could maybe dig more ground in a morning than one person could in say a month?
this would leave the person hopefully free to dig for another of the group on the following arranged date?
as for conflict on digging styles ect...............yep...........can see there being a bit of differing opinion here too..........but if the soil has been worked............wouldnt it be a lot easier to do with it as you pleased after the helpers have gone?
small groups seem to be the way i think...............and im hoping that the spirit of allotmenteering will win thru...........ie.........if your up the plot anyway.why not give a hand to the lad/lady that so kindly helped you earlier?
i also think that if you got a good mix of people...........tips,techniques and expieiance could be passed on by those in the know..........invaluble for new starters.and also encoraging the whole group thing?
another thing....................
what about those less able to ......shall we say............dig as they once could?
set them a less phsical challenge!
tidy up...........trim hedges.........prune..weed.......strim.............the list...(as we all know).is endless!
loads of things to think of i know.................but just think of the benefits  "people power" could have on a site............

ace...............the bullwhip option...........lol...............
youd be more than welcome to come along with the whip............and the fork....and the spade........and dont forget ya barrow.............

im gonna bandy the idea about with my two closest lottie neighbous today..........both keen guys who seem to want to develop the feeling of "solidarity" on the site..if thats the right word!
thanks again all.......keep it coming!!!!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 08:04:53 »
All joking aside have a go. Then all meet for a drink as well. It is nice to have a really friendly site.

An uncle of mine joined a self build group once. They all pooled their skills and built an avenue of bungalows. It all worked out alright and the community spirit in that street still goes on 30 years later.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal