Author Topic: DELL? Hell!!  (Read 2482 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
DELL? Hell!!
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:36:42 »
Just before I ordered an anti-glare screen in early January, I seem to recall a comment here about the firm. Pity I didn't heed it.

Delivery was forecast 30/1. This was later set back to 5/2 - 'so that all the components might be assembled to my specification'.

When nothing arrived, I rang Dell. 'Oh. it's out of stock & will not be re-stocked'. Re-ordered. ETA 12/2.
Later got a change to 19/2. Then 22/2. And today it's 27/2.

Must be a very complicated piece of equipment??

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: DELL? Hell!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 12:17:05 »
Next time you ring, Tim....put on an American accent and tell them they're  speaking to 'Computer Buyer' magazine...!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 14:59:18 »
I supply custom built PC's. The customer tells me what they want, I give them a quote, when they accept the quote I order the parts, next day the parts arrive within 2 hours of parts arriving I call the customer to let them know their PC is ready all software is installed etc... Dell is a huge company they should easily be able to rival that service. Personally I don't like Dell but then again I have repaired/upgraded too many of their machines & seen the low quality of the parts they use & their poor workmanship & heard tales of their customer service so I am biased.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 15:19:20 »
My daughter is looking for a reasonable priced puter for her college work mainly. Any recommendations, Baccy'?

Just a point and I understand what you say in your post, but you might want to modify it...? Dell might come at you with a big hammer?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 15:47:50 »
American accents are all very well - I have my work cut out understanding Hindi!!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 16:29:26 »
My daughter is looking for a reasonable priced puter for her college work mainly. Any recommendations, Baccy'?

Just a point and I understand what you say in your post, but you might want to modify it...? Dell might come at you with a big hammer?

The modify time limit is up but there is nothing there which hasn't been said before by thousands of other people on forums or reviews relating to Dell PC's & laptops.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 21:44:44 by Admin aka Dan »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 17:52:14 »
Anything closer to 'Home - ( Yorkshire) Baccy'?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 04:15:08 »
I don't know anyone in Yorkshire but I would be inclined to avoid the big shops a small business or an individual offering custom built PC's will normally give a better deal & better customer service, they have more of an incentive to do so as they have a lot of competition from the big companies.
If buying online would be easier for you then http://www.novatech.co.uk/ are fast & reliable prices start around £220 for the hardware they charge an additional £50ish if you want windows pre installed or you can install your existing operating system yourself if you wanted a free alternative you could go for linux instead (Ubuntu linux seems to be the most popular at the moment I could post you a free installation cd if needed I have Ubuntu for x-86, 64bit or mac systems, Kubuntu for x-86 or 64bit systems, or Edubuntu for x-86 based systems). If I rememeber right then standard delivery is about £7 or it is £8 for next day delivery from Novatech & next day delivery really does mean next day.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 05:01:57 by Baccy Man »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 11:52:31 »
Oh, b....y dear!!

'Anti -glare'. Because the brightnes of the screen strains my eyes. Like a heavy glass one that we had for the old smaller monitor.
It's come. Very slick fitting plastic Kensington screen.

Yes, it cuts down the screen brightness BUT - anti-glare??

And to return it to Mombai??

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 16:43:02 »
It certainly isn't anti-reflective as suggested.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 21:05:58 »
Tim etal,
After many posts from etal, I reckon it's pretty clear that one does not get involved in:

- AOHell
- Dell hell
- Talk Talk cr*p
- Vista yet (already)
- Tiscali (anytime)
- Plasma TV screen TV's
- Four by Fours driven by women in sunglasses with 'Baby on Board in the rear window, on the mobile!
-Oh sugar, my 69th brain cell has just gone off line. I'll be back, perhaps, if -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal