Author Topic: 60's party - help please  (Read 6541 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
60's party - help please
« on: May 06, 2004, 13:29:49 »
OKay, the mother-in-law turns 60 at the weekend and the family are having a suprise 60's themed party for her.  What was 60's fash, and am I likely to have any in my wardrobe?!  I figure teddy boys and that rock n roll stuff was 50's, mini skirts were 70's so was it flower power??  

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:60's party - help please
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 13:35:56 »
Late 60s would've been more flower power than early as it went into the 70s...

How about mini skirt, knee-length boots. Top with big cuffs and collars. Big, beehive hair. Mary Quant-style make-up.

teddy boys were more 50s.

Think beatles - smart, tight suits for early 60s, big flares, big collars, a bit more flowery for late.

I know I'm far too young to remember this, but I'm really into 60s/70s culture!

If you were closer, I'd lend you my mum's 60s dress that I wore to a similarly themed party once - fabulous!

And you must do pics...
gone to pot :D

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 13:47:31 »
black eyeliner, pale lips?  Those bizarre glasses that had 'wings'.  
Plastic raincoats and jackets, preferably white or pale.
To add to Aqui's list of late 60s, paisley patterns, those awful macrame/leather twisted belts.

I feel you need a wander through the local charity shops!

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 17:14:38 »
mid-late 60s was definetely flower power (I still have the bells to prove it - all the way from San Francisco cos I was 11 and my sis was in the States then!), Mama 'n Papas, Beach Boys, Woodstock, Quant, Biba, Carnaby Street, Twiggy, op-art, anything psychedelic.

OK, coming back to the new millenium now.  Have a great party!
This might help:

http://www.sixtiescity.com/Fashion/Images/fashionpics.htm

AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 18:37:25 »
Oh it all seems like yesterday where did 40 yeats go - you'll ask that question one day too!! Anyway was in Matalan the other day and they had a whole new range of Mary Quant styles black/white geometric patterns, little pink/orange checks, shift dresses and short jackets and short skirts.  They didn't of course have the knee high boots that we loved flattish and preferably white!! Big plasticy earrings too.Think Jackie Onassis for high fashion, Twiggy for pop style this is Twiggy's website now so should be plenty of ideas on there

http://www.queenofmod.com/twiggy/index.html

All that praise for the 60s but I loved the late 50s best, all that yards and yards of nylon net bouffant skirts, stilletto heels and rock'n'roll!! Oh dear oh dear ....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 18:39:02 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 20:06:27 »
Gawd! Give over Wicker, you got me going too, boys with long hair, scooters, first Rock concerts, VC10's, Ian Smith....where did the time go? All through the sixties I wore a uniform so fashion wasn't something I worried too much about, but the music...wellll....I bought a 'beatles' Album in Borneo in 1965...the group were actually Chinese!90% of my stuff, even now, is from the sixty's....not re-vamp rubbish either, all original.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 20:39:04 »
Ken, I've still got 78s, EPs, Longplayers from 50s onwards and the players to listen to them - music is my love!!  Right now have American "Stuck in the 50s" radio station playing on the pc )always tuned in to something) and listening to Sam Cooke singing "You Send Me" - before your time I expect! Now it's "My Prayer" by the Platters.

Sorry EJ shouldn't wander off the thread but your mum=in=law would understand!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 20:41:44 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 21:02:29 »
ummm- not easy as the `60`s range from a hangover from `nice clean cut`up to the emergence of `heavy rock`

start off dressed soberly with a glass of lemonade,then play `Revolver` by the Beatles(1966)-drop a tab :-[-change into mini skirt or kaftan and drink whatever, then finally shake your assets to a nice dose of Led Zep.

Stephan.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 21:18:05 »
Sixty three was the Beatles,the Hollies, and all the Liverpool Bands. I saw the Beatles at the Majestic in Newcastle and the Hollies who were just starting off.  Graham Nash wrote his autograph on my hand. I worked in a record store then and it was a great time for music. The Rolling Stones were still skinny fresh-faced boys and R & B music had just been discovered. Phil Spectors "wall of sound" was sweeping the country and  Dr Kildare was on the Telly.  Middle sixties we had Mary Quant and the mini skirt, Jean Shrimpton and Twiggy.  The look was pale face, skinny elfin figures (fortunately at that time I was thin and elfin like). Pale makeup, with thick black eyeliner and pale lipstick.  My favourite lipstick of all time was called "yellow kick", (use your imagination on how gross that must have been)!

Flared trousers and loons for men.  I bought my fiance a pair of purple velvet loons at the time.  Cheese cloth shirts and paisley shirts with matching ties.  I think 65 was flower power, as I remember my sister and I visiting Carnaby Street and the Kings Road, and at Picadilly Circus everyone around was wearing bells and beads and giving flowers out.  Sergeant Pepper came out and Pychedelia - strawberry fields forever. What a fabulous time it was.  Peace and Love and all that.  Everyone was protesting about the Vietnam war.

The late sixties was Tamla Motown with Marvin Gay's "Heard it through the grapevine", "Tears of a Clown" by Smokey Robinson, another great era for music.  There was mini, midi and maxi clothes, big hats and long boots and wooden spectacle frames. I got engaged in 1969 and remember David Bowey and Space Oddity, and of course there was Woodstock, and Joni Mitchell and Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Happy days!  Where did all those years go?  I am sixty in July and can't quite believe it - feel that somewhere inside I am still that elfin faced, seven stone mini skirted young girl.  Thank you EJ, for that "blast from the past" you brought it all back for me.  Hope your party goes fantastically.  ;D busy_lizzie  
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 23:01:46 »
Wow, so much information from you groovers!  I am sadly not elfin, but do have a paisley mini kinda shift stylee dress, also some rather chic flowerery gear, so who knows.  I would prefer a 50's party, much more my thing, but there you go.  I am sure she will have a fab time, centre of attention, all the family there - I shall try to take some pics and post.  Thanks for all your help....you funky, foxy, flowerey peeps!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 09:58:35 »
Aw - trips  ;) down memory lane...

Hang on a minute, I wasn't born until 76. I was definitely born after my time! Got my first Grateful Dead album yesterday - fan-blooming-tastic. Really love Sugar Magnolia. I really should've been a hippy!
gone to pot :D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 11:27:14 »
Oh what great memories :D  Enjoyed reading all your messages, brought it all back to me.  I was a late 50's/60's girl.  Spent first few years of 60's giving birth to my children so was a bit confined to house much of the time but remember rocking around the living room to the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits, Billy J Kramer - oh I could go on and on :)

Have a great party EJ - I'm sure your mum-in-law will love it ;D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 12:15:05 »
...and Simon and Garfunkel .... all my vinyl is from the late 60s/early 70s  ...... who remembers Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, tho?!
AC  ;)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 18:59:45 »
AC, couldn't think at first (old age memory) but were Chris Bennet and the Rebel Rousers  "Got To Get You Into My Life"?  

Like Patrica S I was a child bride and producing offspring early/mid 60s!!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 20:14:21 »
Ken, I've still got 78s, EPs, Longplayers from 50s onwards and the players to listen to them - music is my love!!  Right now have American "Stuck in the 50s" radio station playing on the pc )always tuned in to something) and listening to Sam Cooke singing "You Send Me" - before your time I expect! Now it's "My Prayer" by the Platters.

Sorry EJ shouldn't wander off the thread but your mum=in=law would understand!
Eh! Wicker; As a kid I used to swing on the gas-lamp arm that the lamp-lighter used to put his ladder on and fiddle with the rocker to make the lamp go 'pop'. Our house at the time had three electric sockets. All out lights were gas and we used to heat up the iron on the fire and pop coals inside it. Who's the oldie?
PS: I just look young. ::)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 20:15:20 by kenkew »

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 20:28:48 »
 ;) Oh how I loved reading these too and being reminded of those lovely times....I 'hit' my 60th (unbelievably cos I don't really feel any different) a year or two back now and like several others, was a child bride (18) most definitely an elfin type and weighing in at less that 7st....also having my two eldest children in early/mid 60's......thanks for taking me 'down memory lane'....hope the party goes 'with a swing E.J. - I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time....

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2004, 12:11:01 »
The very same, Wicker!   Cliff used to live round the corner from me and I did finally pluck up the courage to ask him the sign the cover of the 45!  
AC

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2004, 18:23:55 »
I remember Cliff when he tried to curl his lip like Elvis. As a kid me and my bruvver used to go to the gas works with a pram with a missing wheel and pinch coke from the back of the boiler and run like 'ell back home. Also used to stand on my dads allotment shed roof and pea-shoot elder berries and throw stones at the train drivers who had to stop opposite our plot before being called forward into the goods yard. The engine drivers and firemen used to throw lumps of coal back in retaliation. When they moved off we jumped off the roof and picked up all the lumps of coal and legged it home!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2004, 22:05:31 »
Hiya wicker wow did you ring a bell" Sam Cooke you send me "we nearly wore the grooves out of our LP,so many memories going on from there. Did you ever have the country & western LP the Countrys favourite  Son ??.Still got it and lots lots more. We gave our turntable to our son last year so we can`t play them anymore
got a modern music centre not the same though.
 Of course i was also a child bride ::) now i am a teenage grandmother LOL.   What is this station you listen to please give me the details,getting excited here Wicker. We should start a thread about this ,would be great to trip down memory lane, lets do it. ;D ;D rosebud.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2004, 23:53:24 »
Rosebud, this is Live 365 Internet Radio. You must have Real Player downloaded and disable your pop=up stopper (or hold down Crtl when you tune-in to station of choice).  Just sign in and you get a list of all types of music from which you then select radio stations to play.  Its great and very easy.  I just make things sound complicated because I'm not technical.

I had to get a turntable to connect up to music centre tho you may need another adaptor (red/white connections I think)  Very well worth it as it's amazing what you find in your old record collections that you had forgotten about.  Theeeeen you could get cordless headphones with a wee signal box that sits on the music centre so you can listen to your old music in the company of football watchers or the younger generation without them making jokes and you can even get up and make a cuppa without stopping listening!!

Go for it its great.

http://www.live365.com/index.live

I promise I'm not on commission but thought I should add that there are radio stations for music of every description on the above site classic/blues/soundtracks/reggae/spokenword/hiphop etc not just Oldies!  I'll shut up now folks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 11:45:09 by Wicker »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal