Author Topic: and they're off.....  (Read 2017 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
and they're off.....
« on: February 26, 2007, 18:32:09 »
Today my cauliflowers are sprouting, my leeks, my peas and my ramsons.

Whats starting for you?

leeks

cauliflower

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: and they're off.....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 19:16:09 »
Leeks, cabbage but no Bedford sprouts yet (old seed)...
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 20:57:42 »
Yes it is always exciting, I have all my brassicas up and pricked out now, my onions are up, my first plantings of squash are looking very good, broad beans in 3 inch pots ready for the lottie this weekend.My early start spuds in the greenhouse are up about 12 inches and just showing their first flowers and first batch of tomatoes are up about three inches now, I have peppers and aubergines just showing on the surface and my very early to start melons are about 1 inch tall. Considering that the peppers are about 9 years old and some of the squash are 1988 I think that is pretty good. My salad planter has leaves almost ready for harvesting and the radishes should be done in about 10 days All in alll things are looking very promising. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 22:34:52 »
i have some cauli, sprouts and cabbages up, 7 varieties of toms and a few chilli's  :D unfortunately some very leggy BB in pots that i think have got to be compost and start again  :-\ nevermind i'll remember for next time  :P

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 22:56:12 »
and the radishes should be done in about 10 days

how on earth do you know when they're going to be ready.

i read of other peeps babies doing "this and that" but i have never been able to forecast how far away from harvest something is.

???
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 23:02:08 »
Jeannine do you live in a tropical part of the UK I haven't heard of?  :o

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 07:25:42 »
Jeannine do you live in a tropical part of the UK I haven't heard of?  :o
Was wonderng that myself - are the squash and melon for indoors?

I have toms x4, aubs, carnations, dahlias, peppers and sweet peas peeping thru.
onions and garlic from late last year and broadies went out in a coldframe at the weekend.
Will put peas (early onward) into guttering at the weekend

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 07:58:18 »
mine only got started on sunday, so i'll keep you updated on our site to let you know of prgress, never done cauli before so fingers crossed

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 08:08:41 »
I have only started my leeks and Tomatoes, gonna wait for nicer weather for the rest.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 08:56:13 »
Aubergines and chillis are up - tomatoes will be going in soon.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 10:22:12 »
Hi Sawfish,yes I guess it is a bit tropical in my greenhouse with the heater going and the grow lights on,it is another world than outside when it is chucking it down. XX Jeaniie
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Pigletwillie

• Quarter Acre
    • Hilltop Adventures Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 11:44:48 »
I just need more room in the heated glasshouse as there are blaby toms and some other heritage varieties still to prick out and I havent started loads of stuff yet.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:02:26 »
You are all doing really well. I have a bedroom windowsill and a coldframe so have only sown, onions, celeriac, and a couple of types of beetroot last Saturday as it was a root day. I am going to sow my broad beans in modules this weekend as fruit days.

Just waiting for April/May when I can really get going as I have taken on a second allotment this year so there will be plenty of space..............nce I have dug it!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 12:07:58 »
Yes my melons do live inside, squah goes out but not till it is a very big plantXX Jeannine

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 14:29:22 »
My peas are up, my leeks are up, peppers, cauli's and cabbage only just gone in. First time for onion seeds three up 4 days ago but no sign of the others. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 14:50:31 »
Cauliflowers I started off last year and I have planted some already on the allotment. Chilli's, leeks,tomatoes, peas, red cabbage & greyhound are up and only just my aubergines too.

Strawberry's didn't come to anything sadly but i'm not giving up yet.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 14:55:45 »
Tarvoy cabbages..10/40 showing today. Been sown for a week in a cold greenhouse.
No sign of perpetual spinach or cues sown at same time.
Tomatoes, sweetcorn and cues sown at the weekend are in the conservatory, which is warm, but no signs yet of them.
Herbs all got some through, sown a fortnight ago.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 20:59:19 »
Radishes about 10 days because of the size they are now.I have a very large planter about 4 feet by 30 inches about 1 foot deep, I grow salad greens and radishes and a few spring onions almost all year in it in a warm greenhouse,I seed the radishes about every 10 days or so, only about a dozen at a time, the salad greens are a mixture of lettuces which I harvest with scissors at about 4 inches high, they will regrow and I keep topping up.I couldn't fed an army but it keeps two of us in enough salads till the big lettuces are ready . I am not keen on lettuce that is even a couple of days old so don't like the shop bought stuff,this is the best way I have found ,so far, but I would like to hear someone elses way too if it works well. XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 21:20:02 »
sunflowers, parsnips in kitchen paper, yahoo..aubergines, at last..little gem lettuce..just got to find somewhere for them in the greenhouse when I prick them out  :o :o ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal