Author Topic: New-to-me greenhouse - preparations  (Read 1630 times)

gerbera

• Half Acre
New-to-me greenhouse - preparations
« on: March 05, 2007, 20:49:05 »
I have a "new-to-me" greenhouse. :) It has been de-glazed and frame, base and glass are now sitting on my uncultivated land awaiting reassembly.

My problem is that the patch of land where I plan to site it is clay soil, next to a railway embankment and so gets "blessed" with all the water run-off. Up until last summer, the area was covered with 7ft weeds (nettles/brambles etc). I have removed all the bramble roots, and the horrendous mass of white perennial roots will be ousted this week.

It is a sunny patch and the soil seems very nutrient-rich. However, at present its quite heavy and wet, and the drainage leaves a lot to be desired. There aren't puddles....but my feet sink an inch or so when I tread on bare soil. I want to make sure that the soil is right before I build my "baby" back up in its new home.

What do you suggest? ???

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: New-to-me greenhouse - preparations
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 14:14:41 »
well you don't want to be paddling in your GH do you. Your plants probably wont like it either. I'm no expert but I would have thought you would have to build it up off the ground so that it didn't get flooded. Other than that resite it. Someone will have the right idea they always do on here.lol
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal