Author Topic: Decorative twig sprouting leaves!  (Read 1279 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Decorative twig sprouting leaves!
« on: February 25, 2007, 20:03:36 »
As a gift, I was given a 'log' which has been hollowed out.  It had two plants and lots of decorative twigs.  The twigs are really curly and I suspect they may be hazel.  I could well be wrong but not sure what else it could be.  I removed one of the bulbs when the plant finished flowering, and left the twigs in the void. 

I am still watering the remaining flowering plant, and noticed yesterday that there are buds on one of the twigs.  I would feel really mean to throw it away, but I am not entirely sure what to do with it.  The plant(s) currently reside on a bright windowsill.  Any help would be appreciated.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Decorative twig sprouting leaves!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 20:11:44 »
My guess, and I could be completely wrong, is that whatever it is (it could be twisted Willow for instance) it will be much happier outside that in.  I'd pot it up, put it in an unheated greenhouse/cold frame and harden it off.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 17:31:32 »
I reckon twisted Willow - it roots very easily and as it's quick-growing probably more likely to be that than Hazel. I'd pot it up. (But beware, if you stick it in the ground you'll get some fairly hefty trees :)

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 20:24:21 »
Seems like I have a twisted willow sprig then :) 

I have a 'gap' in my garden's border where there used to be an driveway, there is no way I would drive out of it as it is on 90 degree bend.  The rest of our border has some really huge trees, which I must get trimmed as soon as funds allow it :-\ 

Twisted willow could well be the answer for filling my 'gap', any ideas on how fast it will grow, or suggestions on other fast growing trees/ plants? 

Thanks for the advice so far :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 20:42:47 »
I was given a twisted willow cutting which was about 12" tall and it grew to 6' in one year - and it's in a pot!   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal