Author Topic: Grass any ideas ?  (Read 1146 times)

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
Grass any ideas ?
« on: February 25, 2007, 18:18:53 »
Hello

Grass seems to be dissappearing for no good reason !! have had weed and feed on it etc etc and has always been fed etc but now it is just going some where

any ideas appreciated

carlos
another member of i forgot my password

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Grass any ideas ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 20:42:28 »
How much light does it get in that corner?

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 22:12:04 »
Carlos,
there could be so many contributory factors to the dissapearance of your grass.
It looks in the picture like an area that has been covered in leaves for a while. It only takes a week for leaves to cut out all light for it to have this effect.
Another factor could be, is the soil compacted, thus not allowing any water to drain properly. Is the soil very moist/wet. Try aerating the area with a fork, pushing the tines into the soil about 5" and pulling out leaving little holes that would help drainage. If this is the case, then after all frosts have gone, give the area a good aerating using the fork method, sprinkle a little lawn sand around and sow some fresh grass seed.
Without actually seeing it properly it is hard to diagnose the problem thoroughly, but hope this has been of some help.
Feel free to pm me any questions regarding this matter, good luck,
Bryan.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 23:07:43 »
If it is shady there, would just like to say that have had good success here using a fairly cheap shady grass mix - it has survived where normal heavy duty lawn grass hasn't in my shady and often very wet garden.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 20:13:51 »
helloo

it is on the darker side of the garden but seemed ot be ok for a couple of yrs and yes it probably does stay a little on the damp side

I think i will be trying a litle areation and sand with maybe not so good type grass seed see if that helps it
I see my neighbour has he same problem and has a very shaded garden

Thanks for you thoughts i will try them out

carloso
another member of i forgot my password

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 22:32:30 »
If it won't grow, and grass does need a decent amount of light, plant flowers instead. There are plenty that aren't fussy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal