Author Topic: The Last frost  (Read 10372 times)

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re:The Last frost
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 15:15:50 »
Perhaps you could be like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Dottie - get yourself a polytunnel and use it to do a bit of sunbathing in the buff!  8)
AC

PS - Be alert for red ants, tho!   :o
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 15:18:10 »
i'm sure that we can find the odd acre or two to grow our veggie in at the bottom of our estates.Come on girls my bags are packed dont need much persuading after the torential rain of April and Up to now May.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004, 16:46:32 »
Hahahaha, Would scare all my plants AC!
 I suppose BB, we could have a vineyard, :) then we would be growing something!!  And maybe the acreage could have a polytunnel that we keep cold to grow our English type veg!! What we need is an  allotment commune! Ok, off to re pack my bags, sunscreen top of the list!  8)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2004, 18:13:23 »
- in the bit of green that's left, Richard? = Tim

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2004, 18:18:27 »
Perhaps this spring is the time we should all be brushing up on hydroponics  ;D
Muddy Boots

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2004, 09:54:29 »
- in the bit of green that's left, Richard? = Tim

Plenty of it around here (at the moment) Tim!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2004, 11:36:36 »
Frosts passed?? Don't be conned by this weather!

This is the coddling for our first lot of beans. = Tim

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2004, 13:55:16 »
After one or two 'hiccups' ie when i got too confident re: frost (mainly with border plants -  lost two established plants in the winter because i pruned them too early). I am now being super cautious with putting out half hardy plants, even though we havent had a sniff of frost for weeks (cold nights though).

I have to say that the last frost chart on "The Gardener" 's website is spot on. It says last frost end of april for my part of the country, and guess what? our last frost was well before that date!  ;D

Thanks 'Gardener' !   :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 13:57:08 by Richard F »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2004, 16:14:27 »
It's the next one that I'm worried about, Richard!! = Tim

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2004, 19:09:45 »
There will be no more frost in West Deeping-well I will be well miffed if there is as stuff is eventually going out.

Stephan.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2004, 19:37:20 »
Me too stephan, in spite of my earlier comments there is still a chance. Which would be devastating since I have little frost free space at present, and most of the stuff is out or nearly out (eg in an open cold frame)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2004, 22:28:18 »
Can't possibly be another frost in our part of Essex.  On the plot today the 'older chaps' have planted all of their marrow, toms, beans and corns, and they have been allotmenting there for over 20years!  Still, I am in no rush to get all of my squashes and toms out.....another week or 2 won't hurt.....

pbjohnson

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2004, 12:03:07 »
Was going to risk putting in my runner beans this evening (in Surrey) and did a quick 5 day forecast on the BBC weather page.  It gives a glorious week but there's an ominous 0 degrees in the minimum temperature column for Friday ... is it a warning for us all?  Rgds, Paul

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2004, 13:01:05 »
2 degrees in Essex E-J :) fingers crossed as I put my corn &c. in yesterday -I wonder of Dyas stock fleece? I foolishly used mine to shade the greenhouse last year, no it isn't strong enough.

Still Friday is a long way off, half the time they can't tell you what it's going to do 4 hours later, never mind four days.

Jeremy

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2004, 13:07:31 »
My tomato plants are crying out to be planted, they are growing in, 3 1/2" pots and are all about 18" tall! However i am being cautious and restraining from planting out for as long as possible. Dont want to tempt fate!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2004, 18:42:54 »
I was warned that the temperature was going to drop on Friday Jeremy, typical!  Glad I have not planted my squash and toms yet....but my beans  :'(  I may take some fleece up tomorrow and protect them as best I can.....problem is, I am away from Friday, not back until Sunday, so after tomorrow, I will not be back at the plot until Monday!  :'( :'(  At least the fleece won't do any harm.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2004, 13:35:00 »
BBC is often very ominous in the 4th or 5th day forecast  :D

I prefer www.weather.co.uk, although even they are predicting some low temps (for me in Kent over weekend as low as 4 - which toms etc might survive but I might just not risk it just in case!).  Dont panic yet :)

Alot at my place have set out beans, corn, tomatoes, etc.  They keep telling me there wont be no frost now.... they must know something I dont? lol

rdak

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2004, 14:02:00 »
I have tomatoes, aubergines & basil planted out in the garden now, but am a little concerned about a forecast for a low of 2C on Friday. The fleece will be coming out.

I think give it a week and all my tomatoes, squash and beans will be hitting the allotment.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2004, 16:52:16 »
Oh good grief.....Its nearly JUNE !!! Why not just grow evrything in a green house !!!
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2004, 17:21:03 »
Now why didn't I think of that -if in doubt get a different forecast  ;D

Online Weather have a low of 7 on Thurs and 5 on Fri. I feel much better.

I wonder which site the weather god prefers? The one that uses tea leaves or the one that uses goat guts?

Me I'm off to find a virgin to sacrifice -oops, forgot, I live in Essex  ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal