Author Topic: great new book  (Read 2785 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
great new book
« on: May 19, 2004, 17:31:45 »
hubby came home with a book that he got for me yesterday and its great. its called the allotment handbook by caroline foley and its full of allotment stuff! it has case studies and information on getting a plot and protecting it from evil housing developers, as well as a month by month guide to what to do with average temperatures and frosts for the UK and a directory of fruit, veg and herbs.

its lovely.

did you know that every 16th house in england and wales contains a happy allotmenteer?!! ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re:great new book
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 17:55:16 »
Thank you for that information Jo will look out for the book.  I am always keen to get my hands on allotment related books.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 18:51:17 »
There was a day-to-day thing the other day.
Jobs for every day. But on 14th August, you can sit back in your deckchair - so long as you use the time to plan next year's growing!! = Tim

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 21:22:46 »
just had a look on Amazon and it is £9.09 on there so have placed my order.

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 23:55:05 »
When I go on holiday to the states, I stock up on loads of their gardening magazines and bargain gardening books - it's nice to see books that aren't on the shelves here.  I have now found that sometimes it is cheaper to buy such books from amazon.com and pay the extra shipping charge & exchange commision rather than buy via amazon.co.uk.  I suppose it's because the pound is worth a lot of dollars at the moment.

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 15:43:40 »
I've got that book, it's useful for the month by month bit, but for me it didn't go into enough detail about the actual growing of the plants, i have found the complete guide to vegetables, herbs and fruit to be more informative.

I still bought it though :-)

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 22:03:29 »
Legless

Went onto Amazon.co.uk to check it out ready to order but found the author has two nearly identical books, one published 2002 & the other published 2004.

Which copy have you got please?

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 09:00:04 »

you're quite right tenuse, it isn't going to be the only book you need but it does cover a lot of stuff 'veg' books don't and is a greta read if like me, you crave information!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal