Author Topic: Tomatoe seed germination ?  (Read 4434 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Tomatoe seed germination ?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 15:04:00 »
I have all my radiators under the windows so I put all my seed pots on the edge of the sill so that the heat rises. Everything has come up ok Aubergines took 2 weeks though. The seeds I put in pots I covered with the bottom of plastic pop bottles I had cut off. This kept the moisture in.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

mr plasma

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 18:23:35 »
is it not too early to sow? my packet of sweet million seed tells me to sow them in march or april., have i missed the boat?

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 18:29:55 »
I have all my radiators under the windows so I put all my seed pots on the edge of the sill so that the heat rises.

Me too.  Downstairs the window sills are made of quarry tiles so they really soak up the heat.  Perfect for anything that likes a warm botty, oo er missus.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 19:17:34 »
is it not too early to sow? my packet of sweet million seed tells me to sow them in march or april., have i missed the boat?

I've got my hands tied firmly behind my back until mid-March....I'm typing this with my nose ;D

john-the-window

• Not So New ...
  • my winning entry in 2005
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 19:41:06 »
to cold

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 20:44:17 »
I've got my hands tied firmly behind my back until mid-March.

Me too. Started too soon last year, got spindly leggy toms which gave me no advantage. Not sowing anything til march *sigh* wish I had a greenhouse. Am making do with examining my chitting potatoes every 15 mins. ::)

OT (sorry but got to say it) greyhound your avatar is genius. It's the ears.  :D
You been goofin' with the bees?

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 09:56:45 »
I'll tell her.   ;D

Yes, it was a bit early, but I've only sown a few things that can be difficult to get going; aubergines and a couple of chillies.  If they do OK I have room inside for those few till it warms up.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:59:40 by greyhound »

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 13:29:29 »
Looks like the silver foil thing will catch on, I'm going to give it a go.
No more turning for me.  :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 14:35:42 »
Too early for toms will leave them a while yet.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Roger Skilton

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 18:03:33 »
I have just checked the packets as some of you are saying its a bit early to sow them but they all say under glas  Jan Feb March, I put them on top of my boiler and within three days they started emerging just hope they dont go leggy !

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 18:25:16 »
Have always started mine in January....always on a windowsill with
aluminium foil at the back of them. I put them in a heated greenhouse
when they have 3 sets of leaves. Usually start harvesting
in June :)

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 19:59:55 »
I have just checked the packets as some of you are saying its a bit early to sow them but they all say under glas  Jan Feb March, I put them on top of my boiler and within three days they started emerging just hope they dont go leggy !

Too early for me coz I've not got a greenhouse to put them in.

Last year I sowed my toms at the end of March. I had to keep them in a crowded mini greenhouse through the miserable May we had, by the time it warmed up and they could go out they were v spindly. Will wait another week or two this year.

Have always started mine in January....always on a windowsill with
aluminium foil at the back of them. I put them in a heated greenhouse
when they have 3 sets of leaves. Usually start harvesting
in June :)

I have greenhouse envy :'(
You been goofin' with the bees?

LucyJ

• Not So New ...
  • Hemel Hempstead (ickle east facing Garden)
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 16:45:32 »
Thank you very much for all this advice. As a new gardener i was getiing very disheartened by the lack of growth from my toms but after a few days in my airing cupboard they sprang into life and now are happy on the windowsill and the cats are very interested in the silver foil that streched across!

So a big thank you
http://lucysgarden.blogspot.com/
Hemel Hempstead (ickle east facing Garden)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 16:49:40 »
Foil is a brilliant idea... Supersprout would have loved it as only a couple of weeks ago we were talking about how our 'supersprouters'  made our seedlings lean to the window and we were debating whether or not to turn them... ahhh she would really have loved it!

davy1

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 20:54:29 »
Reading thro the posts on Tomato,s and germinating, growing on etc on the windowsill and moving them at night, i pondered on this for two days, why do they need to move them at night and replace them the next day as my room temperature stays pretty much constant and my heating goes of at 11.30 pm. I could just not figure it.
Two days this was on my mind, the light finely came on when i banked the open fire up and said " AAAGH your the reason i don,t move my tomato,s " 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 22:27:01 »
I'll be planting mine in the next couple of days; I just need to nip down to the allotment and get pots and labels. So far I've got eight varieties I'm planting; Stupice, Clear Pink Early, Taxi, Prima and Buckbee New 50 Day, which all did well outdoors last year. Then I'm going to try Harbinger, Alaskan Fancy and Black Cherry for sure. I've got more varieties than I can actually grow, but Ruud sent me several that I'm keen to try, and there are several that I want to research to try to get an idea how they'll do outdoors.

Last year I planted them about this time, kept them indoors till mid-April, much to Namissa's annoyance, and then put them out in the mini-greenhouse. They were planted out at the end of May, under cloches. I'll follow the same scheme again this year.

I'll be planting a couple of varieties of pepper as well, and aubergines as soon as they arrive from Real Seeds.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 22:29:34 by Robert_Brenchley »

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2007, 08:06:41 »
my four Tigerellas (victims survivors of skidding across the floor incident on Saturday morning) have been buried and reburied neck deep and STILL they produce more leaves and growth !  Hardy little things !  They're on the east facing window sill during the day and on the bed at night.  They must be dizzy with the amount of times I turn them during the day !

All my other experimental sowings are doing fine and am seriously considering giving them their own pots at the weekend. 

Anyone want to come and babysit at the end of March though ?  This will be the "telling" time and probably result in a few more sowings !  What's a little compost and seeds between friends !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 08:41:18 »
My Tigerellas have only just germinated...seemed to take ages.

They were sown on 25th Feb (my birthday) but all the other seed germinated in only one week.

San Marazno has taken a while too.  I have kinda gone overboard on growing things.  My kitchen is full !!!

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2007, 08:50:02 »
Chris - those pots are TOO big for tiny seedlings!

Yes, Roger, but few of us are favoured with a heated greenhouse - unlike some!!

And many don't even have a greenhouse?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:20:06 by tim »

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2007, 10:52:46 »
Chris - those pots are TOO big for tiny seedlings!

Why?  I only need a few, just doing what Dr D G Hessayon says, they are only 3" pots.

Surly it gives them room to grow. You live and learn i suppose, if i'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:56:24 by ChrisG »

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal