Author Topic: flower newbie HHP question  (Read 1249 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
flower newbie HHP question
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:35:20 »
OK - due to some extra space and a nagging wife I'm growing a few flowers this year. I understand the difference between annuals and perennials and hardy and half hardy but I'm a bit confused by HHP.

As far as I can work out my carnations are HHP. Meaning they need protection from frosts but will grow every year.

Do they just need frost protection as seeds or do I have to cover up or perform some magic every winter?

Any help/tips appreciated - anyone else grown these

Glow

BTW variety is Chabaud Enchantment

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: flower newbie HHP question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:18:56 »
Half hardy perennials, like your Carnations will not take frost, but they can survive in a cold greenhouse where the temp is kept just above freezing. unlike tender perennials which need warmth.
Gardening is the great leveller.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 18:09:04 »
So after they flower in year one what do i do for year two  - dig up and move them somewhere warmer or sow again

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 20:11:19 »
It is over 30 years since I tried growing Chabaud carnations. For the life of me I just cannot remember, except that I grew them in pots rather than outside and they lived in a cold greenhouse all the year round.
Gardening is the great leveller.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 20:55:16 »
The annoying thing is that many bedding plants are labelled as 'annuals' when they're in fact either tender or half-hardy perrenials.. (just to confuse matters!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal