Author Topic: Heating G/House  (Read 2175 times)

Good Gourd2

• Quarter Acre
Heating G/House
« on: February 24, 2007, 15:18:25 »
I have a 6FTC4ft ally greenhouse new last year. I keep wondering about what  and when it will be safe to put stuff in it, but you know I have a brand new Aladdin paraffin heater in there but I am scared of using it.  Just wondered if I put it on at say  5.O'Clock sh and turned it off in the morning it would do any good. I have insulated with bubble wrap and I do have fleece to cover plants.

Two Choices

• Acre
Re: Heating G/House
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 16:25:25 »
You don't say what size the heater is, If it's a little space ship one, then it may not be sufficient yet. If it is the tall single or double burner then you should be ok.
To minimise energy consumption, I have wrapped my seed tray shelving (a bit like one of those poly frame mini greenhouses but without the covering)  in bubblewrap and have used a space ship type inside. It's worth not making it too airtight at the top to allow some airflow through. This year I'm doing the same but using an electric heater and it hardly comes on. Hope this helps. TC

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 16:42:44 »
I think electric heaters are better than parafin as they only come on when needed whereas with parafin you have to light it in case. I bought a Parwin electric heater in 1979 and it has been in use every year since. After about 20 years the motor did not seem to run too well so I got in contact with the makers about a new motor. I was told that if I put a couple of washers in to take up the wear it should be OK. These washers arrived the next day, FREE, and I put them in ,the heater is as good now as when I bought it. You can use it in the summer as a cooling fan. I do not know why but they are never on sale anywhere other than the makers. I have four friends with them after seeing mine.
PS I am not connected with the firm in any way.

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 18:56:00 »
I have used various paraffin heaters over the last thirty odd years and have found them to be perfectly ok. The type that burns with a blue flame are, in my opinion, by far the best. They give off carbon dioxide which is good for the plants. Just a word of caution though, Don't overfill them. Keep them out of draughts and make sure nothing hangs over near the chimney because they get very hot indeed. ;)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 20:19:10 »
I have a butane/campinggaz lantern which is on a 3 kilogram gas bottle. When frost is threatened, or even cold overnight, I light this so it is only just glowing, and it seems to keep the temperature just nicely about 10 degrees above the outside temp.
At the level I have it on, one container of gas seems to last ages, much more economical (and less smelly) than a paraffin heater,which lasts around a week on 5 litres.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 20:38:54 »
GG - you don't say what you want to put in??

In all my years, I have never used heat. But then I don't grow Bananas!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 21:22:09 »
I've got loads of seedlings in my greenhouse & a couple of weeks ago bought a parafin heater with 2 chimneys.  I had been lighting it at night & the temperature in the mornings was never below 5 but I was worried about a sharp frost so today I have built a sort of tent in the middle & put all my seedlings in that & lit the heater on one burner only - I checked at at 6pm & it was on 12 degrees inside the tent.  Hope it's still ok in the morning - I'm a bit nervous.

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 21:32:35 »
Just been out to the g/house and with my gaz lantern on, it's currently 12 degrees inside, so Ive turned it up a little bit.
Regards Alan.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 23:16:21 »
What temp do you try & maintain at night Quizzical?

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 12:59:51 »
MaryMary,
Once seeds are sown in there, probably around 15 degrees. Don't go by me though, I'm no expert, and it's just my feeling that that should be adequate.

It's not heated during the winter BTW, until I start growing things. Any cuttings, delicate plants etc are kept in the conservatory which is linked to the central heating with 2 rads.
Regards Alan.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 14:00:49 »
Same here Q, the tender things are in the heated conservatory all winter & I also use an electric propagator inside for germination.  What I have in the greenhouse is lots of seedlings, most with just seed leaves, some with a few more.  They all look healthy but they are not growing much so thought I'd give them a bit of help at night.  I've also just got a max/min thermometre so I should be able to keep track of it all a bit better.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal