Author Topic: Which soft fruit...........?  (Read 1190 times)

jo9919

Which soft fruit...........?
« on: February 23, 2007, 22:11:51 »
Would you recommend I grow?

Now, I have to say, I'm not a lover of things like blackberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries etc. but I'd like to try and grow something that might interest the kids.

I'll be growing it in a pot, so I would imagine that that will make a difference to whatever I try to grow.

So, what would do well in a pot, have growing interest for the kids as well as a taste which they might like..........and...........any idea's of where to buy from?

Jo.

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Which soft fruit...........?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 22:15:10 »
I have 2 blueberry/whinberry /billberry/ect plants in large tubs. That way they have their own bit of ericaceous compost in the garden. They crop well and taste great. You will have to net them from the birds though, unless you are feeling very generous to wildlife!

cj :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 22:16:47 »
don't forget, the fruit you buy tastes nothing like fruit you grow yourself, even gooseberries ripen on the plant if you get the right varieties,
 red currants are lovely..you can turn them all in to smoothies, all that vit c..lidl's getting them in, 3rd march, i think, also, aldi still has some of their 3 packs ..
blackberries might be a problem in pots..strawberres will be great, we've grown blackcurrants, blueberries and redcurrants in pots try anything you like  ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 09:15:52 »
For children I think strawberries, in a tub if you can they do great and the alpine ones as well interesting for children very small but the taste .

timeoff

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 15:13:40 »
I would have to say strawberries, my sisters kids grow them every year and are always running out to see if any can be eaten !

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 15:31:07 »
Hi Jo like everyone else strawberries and I also did sweet cherry tomatoes the grandchildren loved getting them and eating straight away

jo9919

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 21:13:46 »
Thanks everyone.

The sweet cherry tomato's, I tried last year, success!!! My absolute 'faddy about everything' 12 year old even ate them, so I'm definitely doing those again this year.

I've decided that I should go for strawberries, and bought 6 plants today from Wilko's. They're Ostara. Does anyone know what they're like?

What do I do with them now? I'm going to grow them in a pot. Well, I've got a strawberry pot actually, but I've heard that they don't grow so well in them. Any experiences? Should I plant them straight into a pot or pot them up into plantpots first, and were should I put them, the cold greenhouse or outside?

Thanks everyone,
Jo.

jo9919

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 09:33:16 »
Anyone please?

Jo.

timeoff

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:44:30 »
In my experience strawberry are quite hardy and i have planted them straight into the container. you could cover with fleece if theres a frost. 

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:52:04 »
I should start by saying that I have never grown strawbs in a pot, but have seen advice about watering - which can be a bit tricky in a strawberry pot. 

The idea is to get a pipe (drain pipe type will do) drill holes along the length - cut to be just a little taller than the pot.  Cap off the bottom end of the pipe to prevent to water draining straight to the bottom of the pot.  The pipe goes in the middle of the pot, then fill with compost (john Innes might be better as it doesn't dry out so quickly) and add plants.

I'd agree that the plants are hardy - in the open ground mine have been covered with snow and frost and yet are still green and perky!

If the pot is by the side of the house, it should be well protected.

One thing, when planting make sure that the crowns are above the level of the soil, otherwise the plant may rot.

Hope that helps - happy growing ;D

jo9919

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 16:10:30 »
Many thanks for your help. The pipe seems a good idea.

Jo.

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 21:08:18 »
great idea with the pipe i had some herbs in a strawberry pot last year and found the watering a nightmare it would shoot straight out of the first holes and wash half the d**n soil out! :-\ i gave up with it as it made such a mess trying to do a sllllooooooooowww poor to let it sink past the first hole!  definately getting my drill out at the weekend and attacking a  drain pipe!!!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal