Author Topic: I have some money to spend!  (Read 6671 times)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
I have some money to spend!
« on: February 23, 2007, 11:48:47 »
Hi all,

I've got some dosh to spend!  And as a beginner I don't know what things are worthwhile buying so thought I'd pick your brains!

I have been given £30 from relatives and £30 of garden centre vouchers from my work-friends for my b'day and wondered if anyone had any"best buys" that they could recommend?

I'm thinking either:-
something extravagant that I wouldn't normally buy, OR
something of superior quality that I couldn't normally afford, OR
lots of little things that will make me feel like I've got lots for my money!

So far I've looked at Lidl and Wilko websites and am considering the following (fit into the 3rd cat. above!)
Lidl - secateurs 99p, outdoor door mat £1.69, seed bed protection £2.99, 3pc tool set (mini fork, trowel, hole-maker (?!)) £2.99.
Wilko - rake £3.99, chicken wire (50mm) 60cm x 10m £3.99, metal arch £4.99.

Whaddya think?

:)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: I have some money to spend!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:50:32 »
well it depends how big is your plot and what have you already got and what do you want to do on your plot :-)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 11:58:58 »
Chicken wire would be a good idea if you're going to be growing brassicas, to keep the pigeons from eating the young foliage.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Wasp_Box

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 12:04:47 »
Apart from a good quality spade and fork, the most useful and most used tool I own is a stainless steel hoe with 3 bevelled edges. I got mine from Focus - here's the link: http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/47909

It is fantastic at getting into those narrow spaces. Bit pricey at £18.00 but worth it.

Other fab piece of kit is a heated propagator. Really kicks germination off even with "difficult" seeds.

The trouble with buying really cheap tools is that you get what you pay for. Better (IMHO) to have a small selection of good quality tools that you need rather than loads of cheapo gadgets that you end up wishing you hadn't bought.

Oh yes: Happy Birthday!

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 12:25:56 »
well it depends how big is your plot and what have you already got and what do you want to do on your plot :-)

Well, the plot is about 25' x 45' and so far I want to grow EVERYTHING!  Well, the plan is - tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, salad stuff, maybe aubergines and peppers as they did ok in my patio pots last year, peas, sweetcorn, courgettes, and other bits and pieces as trials.  I have only got a spade, a fork, some seed trays, wellies.

Chicken wire would be a good idea if you're going to be growing brassicas, to keep the pigeons from eating the young foliage.
I hadn't thought of using the wire as protection over crops - I was thinking more of it being around the plot, but that's a good idea!

Would anyone recommend a particular brand for the heated propagator or are they all much of a muchness?  They can be quite expensive can't they?

As for cheapy gadgety tools, I know what you mean and I'm pretty good at resisting the "must-have multi-task do-everything" type tools that you never actually use, so really I was meaning actual "Proper" tools like trowels etc.  What would be the least you would spend?  I actually bought a bargain spade and fork set from B&Q and so far it has been okay!  (Touch wood!)

Thanks for the link to the hoe, it looks good!  Not sure if I've got a focus near me... will check it out!

Oh yes: Happy Birthday!
Thank you!
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 12:54:19 »
HI S-C

You lucky thing, dedicated plot money ;D

I'm with you on the tools front, I tend to buy tools that are right me, i.e, height and weight.  All of mine were 'cheap' but are all still going.

So some recommendations to help you spend the dosh.......

Deffo a really sharp hoe and with an edge that can be sharpened
A sharpening stone
8ft bamboo canes - wilkos are the best buy
If you have heavy soil a stainless steel spade
Fleece - Wickes are doing 25m rolls for £3.99
Enviromesh to keep the beasties off your brassicas and carrots
How about a couple of fruit trees/bushes from the garden centre
I would advise good quality secateurs, I find the catch on the cheaper ones
Leather gloves - wilkos do some good ladies ones and fleece lined too

Hope that helps a bit

Let us know what you finally decide to buy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 15:17:42 »
Propagators can be expensive, but I would save up for a thermostatic one - ours is a Parasene, or go for a heated mat.

Oh, & if you want REALLY lovely digging things, http://www.josephbentley.co.uk/TheGraduateRange.html. They are the tops & not expensive. Some Garden Centres stock them. I gave my Wife an Apprentice fork.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 15:23:58 by tim »

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 15:45:00 »
Those Joseph Bentley tools do look nice, I've just e-mailed to see if there is a stockist near me!

I just had a mini splash at lunch time as i was passing by my local InStore, and I bought stainless steel hand fork and transplanter/trowel, a rake, and one of those 3-tier mini 'greenhouses' - all for under £20!  So you can all say i told you so when mt cheap hand tools break!!   ;)  I'll definately be getting a decent quality hoe because I looked at the hoes in InStore and they are really blunt and thick, can't see it sorting my soil out!

I was impressed with the mini g'house though, only £9.95!  Can't wait to build it up - considered bringing it back into the office to try it out, but didn't think my colleagues would think it appropriate!  Does anyone else have one of these?  Any good?  I suppose the reason I got it was to keep all my seedlings in one place, they end up all over the house, trying to get a warm spot!  At least with this they can go all together by the patio doors...

Thanks for those pointers SMP, will pop into Wickes on my way home and check out the fleece, cos that seems well priced...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 15:48:07 »
How about spending the vouchers wisely on lots of things, and taking me out for a steak meal with the thirty quid.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 15:49:48 »
Heehee!  You ought not offer yourself out like that, you never know - I might take you up on it!!!   ;D ;D  :o

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 15:54:51 »
Extra onion rings on mine.   ;D ;D ;D

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 15:59:03 »
 ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 16:04:24 »
And pepper sauce.  :P ;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 16:08:42 »
If you get all you want from wilkie's you will be able to take us all out lol
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 16:10:41 »
'Sally' -  Bentleys mail them.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 16:25:26 »
Sally, don't waste money on the 99p secateurs, but don't go for the really spesive ones either....something in the £7 range should be good value. And gloves, gloves, gloves 8) I find that  leather ones, tho labelled 'washable' aren't v. wearable after a wash or two unless anyone here can suggest a specific make, so stock up on a quantity of sturdy fabric ones. Canes are a really good idea, as is the roll of chicken wire. Fleece? hmmm....raid the charity shops (or your windows) for net curtains & save your money....

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 16:28:41 »
Fleece? hmmm....raid the charity shops (or your windows) for net curtains & save your money....

Now then, I did take some of those down when I moved into my house - now where on earth did I put them?!?!?!  Using them on the allotment is certainly better than them being on my windows!

Tim - do you just have to ring them up if you want to order?  I can't see anything about ordering on the website, although it is late in the day and I've been on here all day!  Got square eyes!
 :)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 16:29:17 »
If you get all you want from wilkie's you will be able to take us all out lol

;D ;D ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 16:41:30 »
And gloves, gloves, gloves 8) I find that  leather ones, tho labelled 'washable' aren't v. wearable after a wash or two unless anyone here can suggest a specific make, so stock up on a quantity of sturdy fabric ones.

I like the knit latex glovexs  - and they don't break the bank. You can find them at this site (look under work gloves - textile). Should mention not very good for plants with thorns

http://www.strauss-direct.co.uk/

Sorry the direct link was so long I had to change it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 16:47:21 by Barnowl »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 17:00:32 »
I would buy an azada or a right-angled fork (or both!) from get-digging.com- haven't got one but have read lots of good reports on here.Wondering if I could ask for one for mother's day!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal