Author Topic: Dare I ask this? Which Vegetables do you dislike?  (Read 8294 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Dare I ask this? Which Vegetables do you dislike?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 20:07:18 »
I have to agree with Kea. There are hundreds of different squash and they all taste different. I collect the seeds and I have a very big collection and have grown dozens of varieties over the years,but each year I find a differnt flavour, there is such a tremendous difference in taste, texture and colour, so much so that sometimes it is hard to believe they are the same veggie. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 20:34:25 »
Asparagus.........doesn't matter how fresh it is or what you dip it in, yuk... :P
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 20:37:17 »
Well I like my celery cooked or uncooked. Tinkie purple wee, sounds fun might give the old beetroot one last try. :-[ ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 20:41:19 »
Oh children, children, bring me your old, your poor and your CELERY !!!

(better yet, leave out the old and the poor)

Send me your seeds, your plants, your produce... er... you get the picture.

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM !!!

And take from me that spawn of Beelzebub that is called... CORIANDER

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

timeoff

• Not So New ...
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 21:09:54 »
celery and broad beans...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 21:23:50 »
There's nothing I don't like. It all depends on how they are prepared and presented. Broad beans are amongst my favourites. Baby broad beans with garlicky roast lamb is to die for. I also do a broad bean and baby plum tomato "stew" with fresh thyme that I would go to the end of the earth for. I do remove the skins from the beans though, which is a bit of a tedious task, but then the end product is unbelievably delicious. Not my recipe but Nick Nairn's.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 21:33:23 »
Hi Corneykev,if you are interested in colouring your tinkles, asparagus does a good job of changing it too I heard years ago,just can't remember exactly what. Bet someone does XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2007, 21:34:30 »
Apparently children have to be persuaded to put a new food in their mouths 5 times & they will start to like it [personally I'm not convinced].  For adults it takes 21 [or somesuch] times.  Well I've tried beetroot at least 5 times recently & still hate it - just need another 16 & I should start to like it.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2007, 21:50:23 »
last summer i didn't know that beetroot came in any other variety apart from pickled and i HATED that.

but since EJ has taught me how to roast them, i'm going to grow lots more this year.

apart from the b. awful mess they make of your washing up gloves, they're quite nice !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2007, 22:23:20 »
Hi Corneykev,if you are interested in colouring your tinkles, asparagus does a good job of changing it too I heard years ago,just can't remember exactly what. Bet someone does XX Jeannine
Makes it pong something awful  :-[
Smile, it confuses people.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2007, 22:33:17 »
I havn,t tried some of those mentioned I just know I don,t like them from instinc
I,m not keen on celery and I,v found I don,t fancy veg that aren,t the right colour
black potatoes purple cauli ,like red cabbage though red sprouts uhh er never tried them just know
margaret ???

I bet if you were blindfolded you'd like them as much as the green ones. I think I would trust my tongue before my instinct.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2007, 07:46:49 »
I have a wonderful recipe for beetroot bread.   The loaf turns out a nice pink colour & my niece who used to be funny about eating bread can't get enough of it.
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2007, 08:30:12 »
last summer i didn't know that beetroot came in any other variety apart from pickled and i HATED that.

but since EJ has taught me how to roast them, i'm going to grow lots more this year.

apart from the b. awful mess they make of your washing up gloves, they're quite nice !

;D
KP - try some of the golden/white varieties no red mess

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2007, 08:31:49 »
i may just have to get a packet ... or two !   :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2007, 08:50:37 »
Curly kale. I was once ( ;)) invited for a meal by a male friend who was proud of his home grown veg and watched as he merrily skimmed off hundreds of green caterpillars as they floated to the surface.  :o (Can't bear to think what happened to those that didn't manage to escape from the crinkliest bits.)

And okra. Has all the flavour of boiled caterpillar and the texture of boiled slug.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2007, 10:52:09 »
I really dislike tarragon and corriander!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2007, 13:46:03 »
I don't think there are any veg that I strongly dislike.  Given the choice, I probably won't take cooked or pickled beetroot (although it's nice grated into salads), and some of the coarser leaves like chard and kale don't hit the high notes.

Sadly, as I've got older, I can no longer eat jerusalem artichokes, which I love.  As granny used to say, I like them but they don't like me.  (I won't go into details, eh?)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2007, 14:38:32 »
I really cannot think of any vegetable I dislike. I think any vegetable can be good if it's in a suitable dish and cooked properly. I thought I hated celery for a long time since I was a kid but realised I actually like it when I had fresh, properly peeled one a few years ago.

Having said that, there are things I wouldn't bother growing such as swedes, which I can happily live without. ::)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2007, 15:57:24 »
Nope...have sat here reading the thread, and thinking of all the veggies that there are....and I can honestly say there are no veggies that I wouldn't eat.  I'm not crazy on flots of ennel, but cooked proplerly, of shaved thinly, and in small portions, delicious.  Nope....I love broad beans, like celery, love my greens, adore roots, love corn......coriander only over a jalfrazee......nope, I loves my veg!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2007, 16:27:51 »
Can't stand carrots (unless raw) onions (unless pickled) swede, turnip, parsnip. Love all green veg. Never tasted any variety of squash but might try some this year, threw last years away ::)
Lorna

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal