Author Topic: elephant garlic  (Read 1854 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
elephant garlic
« on: February 23, 2007, 21:09:06 »
anyone grow elephant garlic? any good? know of any good suppliers?

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: elephant garlic
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 21:10:24 »
Was you watching ready steady cook?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 21:24:36 »
I've got some in now - from the Isle of White people I think.  I love the stuff & usually bring lots back from France but we've not been for a while.  :'(

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 21:29:05 »
Was you watching ready steady cook?

maybe  :P

kelpdeva

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 21:38:06 »
Why boffer!!!!
 there's loads of wild ramson just popping through in the woods (or wild garlic) or is  that the same as elephant garlic ?
 Get the children to go for a walk and forage ( Boys love it)(real hunter gatherer  stuff)
 Go with dog and plastic bag and remember pick in non poluted areas
bring home -> put small amount of oil in frying pan
      ->tair the leaves with hands and put in frying pan
    ->mix 3 eggs in jug (or bowl)(for medium size omellet) and pour on the ramson (wild garlic)
    ->cook until  the underneath is firm (I like a soft middle and by the time you) fold it in half ( its cooked)
   ->eat with loads of tom kechup and sweet chilli sauce
FABO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:10:55 »
Elephant garlic produces huge bulbs; I think it is more related to leeks/onions than garlic, has a much milder taste.

I grew some from the IOW last year, not cheap, but grew well and we ate the lot as soon as they were ready! This year I managed to find some in a local garden centre, much cheaper and more cloves; I'm going to plant them soon at the lottie when it stops raining..... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mouseski

• Quarter Acre
  • Killmouseski "Pest Control"
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 10:07:53 »
We bought ours from wilkos last year great crop - we are replanting the little bulblet scale things that grew this year, not sure how cussessful that will be, but there are signs of life already.

Tasted very good :), much milder than normal garlic.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 10:34:51 »
It barely tastes of garlic at all, but it's a nice addition to whatever you're cooking. I tried it for the first time last year, and planted most of what I grew. It's quite unlike Ramsons, which is a much smaller plant, and definitely a garlic. I don't quite know how to classify the heffalump sort.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 10:38:24 by Robert_Brenchley »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 10:42:16 »
I bought a bulb in NY 3 years ago - it was imported from Chile. That original bulb has had cloves saved, grown on,  and has been distributed amongst my friends here over the past 2 years.....my own saved bulb is up and doing nicely in the garden - another 5 big bulbs on the way. KP had the 'runt of the litter' last year - think it weighed in at 8oz, btw. 8)

It's lovely roasted....that creamy mildly-flavoured centre that oozes out onto hot toast.........priceless!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 14:32:30 »
I agree it's wonderful roasted maybe then in a roasted butternut soup.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 17:10:16 »
"Runty" has finally popped through to say hello !  I gave one clove away and the other four are now showing.

Think they've wandered though.  I don't recall planting them THAT far to the right in the tub.

::)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 14:27:49 »
Just to let you know that Wyevale have these in, 3 cloves for £2.99 just had to buy some to try. It says plant in Spring.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 15:21:26 »
I grew some last year. Yesterday I was working at my allotment and I noticed I had missed harvesting one and it was growing again. I like a strong garlic flavour though and I found it a bit mild.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:26:42 »
Just to let you know that Wyevale have these in, 3 cloves for £2.99 just had to buy some to try. It says plant in Spring.

The sooner they're in the better. I don't know why they tell you to plant garlic in spring; you can often get away with it, but it's always better planted earlier.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 08:50:07 »
I was surpised Robert too as I thought you needed a frost to make the blub form cloves. I brought some more garlic too while I was there so I check the difference between Autumn & spring planting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal