Author Topic: Crop Rotation  (Read 1350 times)

chuff

• Half Acre
Crop Rotation
« on: February 21, 2007, 20:28:17 »
Hi everybody, I was wondering how many people practice crop rotation, what veg you always rotate and what veg you don't bother to rotate. I would like to grow peppers, chilies, toms and cucumbers in the same place each year, will this cause me any problems :)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Crop Rotation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 20:30:15 »
As I grow all those in the greenhouse they will be growing in the same place again [got a new greenhouse but they would be in the old one if you see what I mean!].

Mrs T

• Not So New ...
  • Digging in February!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 20:33:18 »
Hi - I am going to try crop rotation - I have done a four year plan with 4 beds in the 4 groups and one extra bed for sweetcorn & salad stuff. You can alwys grow salad stuff & herbs as catch crops in between crop groups.  I think peppers & toms go in with the potato family, however, the toms planted there will depend on which type of potatoes you grow, sometimes the potatoes can give the toms blight, but I dont know any more about which type of pots affect toms.
As you can guess, I am new to this so wait for other, more experienced replies!
Happy Growing!
Mrs T

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 20:53:19 »
Hi everybody, I was wondering how many people practice crop rotation, what veg you always rotate and what veg you don't bother to rotate. I would like to grow peppers, chilies, toms and cucumbers in the same place each year, will this cause me any problems :)

I grow peppers & toms in the greenhouse in fresh compost each year. This will be my first year when they are not in pots but intend to mix in a little manure & garden compost at the end of each autumn the regenerate the ground.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 21:02:47 »
Hi chuff, i'm a newbie to veg growing and we're going for a four year rotation using groups of: potato family, legumes, brassicas and onions & roots.  There was another thread recently about crop rotation, i'm sure if you put that in the search you'll find some interesting stuff.  Good luck!  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 21:10:51 »
Toms and spuds are related but should be kept as far as part as possible because of potato blight.  :(   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 18:56:30 »
Hi everyone thanks for your replies, Ive got six beds in my rotation plan and I'm going to add another 2 giving me a 4 year rotation plan, with 2 beds per family. each bed is 8ft x 4ft will this be enough space for each group? chilies, peppers, toms and cucumbers and herbs are all going in long narrow wooden troughs that define my allotment borders, so these will not get rotated at all :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 10:50:48 »
We're not going to rotate runner beans, Jerusalem Artichokes or asparagus (or the roses and dahlias :) )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal