Author Topic: Vine squash/pumpkin  (Read 1258 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Vine squash/pumpkin
« on: March 01, 2007, 21:25:47 »
Oh boy! I wish SS was here to answer this! I have 70-80 orange trees, all of them get plenty of irrigation, my question is can all my vining squash be trained up the trees? I´ll use nets to support the fruits. What do you think??

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Vine squash/pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 21:30:05 »
Can't see why not. If the fruit is esp heavy make sure it is well supported.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 08:46:44 »
Thanks olive oil, I´ve not done this before, anyone else out there grown vining pumpkin/squash up trees?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:27:43 »
No but I do grow mine up wire mesh trellis so as long as you can support your fruits I don't see why it shouldn't work up trees - unless they cast a lot of shade on the ripening squashes.  I grow mine upwards to get extra sun and ripening but then I'm in central Belgium and can't grow orange trees.
Obxx - Vendée France

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:50:06 »
Hey Biscombe
Not sure if your issue is with growing squash upwards or up trees specifically. Here's a link on how cool growing squashes on supports could be. http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,23208.msg230772#msg230772. Will grow them around the fence allotment this year but not up trees.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 12:20:19 »
Thanks for the link! Up those trees they go then!!!!  ;) ;D ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 12:25:47 »
This is one of my bean and squash supports made from builders' wire mesh screwed to posts.  There are two for alternating crops each year.  It shows the last of the pumpkins ripening a bit more before harvest.  The higher ones had already been cut and stored and tasted delicious.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/obelixxbe/detail?.dir=8c22scd&.dnm=8ffescd.jpg&.src=ph
Obxx - Vendée France

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 13:01:02 »
I´m impressed! looks great too! Can I ask a really daft question? How did you get those posts in??

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 14:08:14 »
They're just stuck in metposts which are metal spikes you bash into the ground.  They have a slot at the toop to hold the posts with screw holes to secure them.   If your local garden centre doesn't have them, try a DIY or fencing supplier.  Our posts used to be a climbing frame, hence their height.  The other suport is on normal fencing posts.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal