Author Topic: Peat or Non Peat  (Read 1259 times)

bumble

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Peat or Non Peat
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:00:46 »
Hi

I have just been reading an article where they mentioned using non peat compost - what is the difference?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Peat or Non Peat
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:38:47 »
Non-peat saves the environment.

And has come out well in tests - but mainly, I think - for growing on rather than seeds.

If I could afford it- I have done - peace of mind is expensive - I would go for Moorland Gold composts  Using the washings that come from the moors, rather than dug up old stuff.

Much depends on the maker.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:43:27 »
I've used New Horizon peat-free multi-purpose for the last few years, sieving it to use for seeds. I read at the weekend that it came top in the Which? survey again. It is more expensive but Wyevale often have offers on it.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 16:39:55 »
I bought a non-peat compost last year- it was terrible, didn't retain any water and resembled bark chippings

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 16:46:46 »
Probably B&Qor Homebase- Homebase came bottom in the Which survey.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 18:15:46 »
Mine was very 'up-market' stuff.  Yes, like wood chippings & yes, as Lishka said, takes AGES for re-watering.

But better if you follow the instructions & water from above.

But DON'T let it put you off trying to save the World? There are composts & composts.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 19:50:55 »
hoping to make my own next year, from this years compost heap..had a bad experience trying to grow carrots in peat free  :)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 23:46:39 »
I had some homebase compost last year, it had loads of freshly cut woodchippings in it.
There was nearly enough for a small bonfire from one bag.  ;D

I bought a few bags of Tesco compost at the end of last season, because it was really cheap,
I've used a bit, and it's not too bad.

Rohaise

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 10:18:21 »
I think I,m right in saying that there ,s peat and there,s compost .   Peat doesn,t have much nutrient value but it helps break up heavy soils  and makes it easier to dig and holds moisture in .....where as compost is the nutrient bit  and comes in different sorts of "recipes"   ie with -  peat added   or more grit  or suited to acid or alchaline loving plants   etc     I,m no way an expert  !     HOWEVER    I have often wondered about Acers for example ,which I love and which in their natural habitat ,grow in peat ,   and I cant help but  think that they should there fore be planted with a higher amount of the "real thing "   But I do think we should all respect the environment and do what we can etc .    :D     Rohaise     

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 11:48:34 »
I find the Westland peat-free compost is lovely and doesn't dry out easily.

The B&Q 'Organic peat-free' used to be brilliant, too. But they seem to have stopped selling that and now only do their regular 'Peat-free compost', which is useless and dries out far too much.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal