Author Topic: Pepper youngsters outside  (Read 1753 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Pepper youngsters outside
« on: February 16, 2007, 16:02:32 »
I´ve sown far too many peppers, re potted them today and now theres not enough room in the greenhouse for them!! Spring is in the air here, but what is the minimum temperature I can get away with leaving them outside? and how many true leaves do they need before they are gown up enough!!

Here´s a link to the weather in Granada which is a little higher and colder than where I live

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=granada+spain

Another question while we´re talking peppers! I know chili peppers are perennial but what about sweet peppers?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 16:05:47 by Biscombe »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Pepper youngsters outside
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 16:40:00 »
I think you will lose them if you put them outside unless your spot is much warmer than mine!! All peppers are actually perennial but we grow them as hardy annuals.I read an article about a Polar establishment that grew their stuff in an indoor greenhouse under lights and they had peppers and even tomatoes go on for years. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 17:07:28 »
Thanks Jeannie!! wow didn't know toms were perennial! good to know thanks!
well the temperature where I am in Spain. But a tad warmer in my valley! What do you all think??

Friday

42° F - 62° F
6° C - 17° C

Saturday

35° F - 57° F
2° C - 14° C

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 17:33:49 »
I think that once night temperatures don't drop below around 5degC you should be ok, but they should be hardened off first.

Doesn't look like you're quite there yet :)

As you'd expect, I've found the south east asian varieties to be less hardy than the south american and east european. My Orozco battled on through the first frosts but the Dundicut and Poinsettia turned to mush.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 18:04:20 »
That 4 degrees C min for the anamolous expansion of water is the killer, hardy plants keep more sugars in the sap as a sort of Anti-freeze, tender ones don't hence the cells split and the plant turns to Mush...
 :-X

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 19:31:53 »
Thanks dudes! Just managed to sqeeeeeeeze them into the greenhouse, I´ll keep em cosy for a few more weeks!

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 19:36:32 »
Unless you have a heated greenhouse, it is far, far, far too early to put them in one. You are chancing your arm if you try before mid April.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 19:48:12 »
Hey there real food! I live in Spain so I´m a tad ahead! I do have a heated greenhouse but It´s bursting! Just wondering what temperature I can get away with outside!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 20:09:33 »
Good Luck, I had visions of these 'ittle babies shivering in the Uk fog etc, but maybe you are far enough ahead to give them a fighting chance,my heated greenhouse is bulging at the seams too, I will be where you are very shortly.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 20:24:10 »
Hi Biscombe,
You know your climate better than us, just listen to your heart! Some things we do don't look logical to everybody else, but somehow for us they work ( well, mostly...)
I moved my peppers and toms into unheated greenhouse on the first of April last year and they were fine. I think if the temperature at night doesn't drop below 4°C they are safe. My eggplant seedlings are in the unheated greenhouse right now, but they are wrapped up into bubble wrap. There is no enough light in my house to produce strong plants, so I just think they will be better there.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 22:53:02 »
My aubies are out in my slightly heated greenhouse.  I put them out there yesterday & they didn't look too happy this morning, several had drooped.  Tonight it is very mild & I have draped them with fleece.  If they are still sad tomorrow I will bring them back into the conservatory for a bit.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 22:06:02 »
I think that you had better get them inside tonight as a hard frost is forecast!!
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 07:56:53 »
No frost here in Spain! but stil chilly at night. Just read that tomatoes are more cold hardy than peppers, so i may kick them out of the greenhouse first!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 14:23:03 »
No frost in Norfolk either last night though it's supposed to be colder here tonight so double fleecing.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 11:46:20 »
That 4 degrees C min for the anamolous expansion of water is the killer, hardy plants keep more sugars in the sap as a sort of Anti-freeze, tender ones don't hence the cells split and the plant turns to Mush...
 :-X

That's an impressive bit of knowledge, Saddad, can't wait to use it myself! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal