Author Topic: Wind Farms  (Read 6126 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Re: Wind Farms
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 10:22:38 »

Went to Germany last summer and they seem to be everywhere - reminded me of triffids walking across the landscape. They were quite mesmerising to watch though and have lights on at night!!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 10:36:54 »
I too like them, think they look like beautiful artistic sculptures! 

I mentioned to school about getting a couple but someone poo pooed it on the basis of scaring the birds away.

At the moment all we get are seagulls anyway so if we scare them away maybe the wildlife will come back!

Would much rather see wind farms than those grey smoke stacks and nuclear plants!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 12:00:29 »
I love them, but I'm not keen on them bing sited in areas of unspoiled beauty ( like Orkney).  Why can't they stick them on old industrial land or next to motorways where we've already messed up the landscape ( which would pretty much be in my back yard).
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 13:39:10 »
I agree Froglets,  I just hate to see dozens of them huge 140ft+ wind turbines marching across the natural beauty of hillside.  I don't find them attractive at all, horrible things.  I seem to be in the minority but then you don't all live in beautiful countryside with rolling hills and moors.   :'( :'(

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 13:50:39 »
Quote from: Robert_Brenchley
Sea eagles have been reintroduced successfully to the west coast of Scotland, and in some areas they're now endangered again because of wind turbines hitting them.
Should that not be them hitting the turbines.  Natural selection at work I'm afraid.

I like wind turbines because they provide clean and reliable sources of renewable energy and they're not at all offensive.  I went on holiday to Samos a year or so ago and they have three atop the central ridge which provide power for the island.  You didn't hear them during the day and at night they looked so majestic slowly rotating in the moonlight and the gentle rhythmic wooshing was quite hypnotic.

I can understand that many of them may make a less pleasant noise but surely that's why they are sited away from population centres.  They're only 21st century windmills and people flock to them as quaint tourist attractions.  What price is a turbine farm in one area of rolling hills if it saves the mass burning of fossil fuels and the damage that it causes.
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

hopefully hopeful

• Not So New ...
  • Flat and stunning, love the fens.
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 20:25:16 »
Hi,

I live in the fens. If I could stand on the roof of my house I would be able to see about 30 turbines.
They are wonderful, so much so that for valentines hubby and I visited Swaffham wind turbine (ecotricity) and climbed the turbine! It was amazing!

I agree that they should be placed in disused areas and by motorways.

If we had the money we would have one for the home.
Rather a field of those than a nuclear power station!
Gem.
  x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 20:30:20 »
Quote from: Robert_Brenchley
Sea eagles have been reintroduced successfully to the west coast of Scotland, and in some areas they're now endangered again because of wind turbines hitting them.
Should that not be them hitting the turbines.  Natural selection at work I'm afraid.

Decidedly unnatural! The vanes revolve, and whack the eagles, which aren't used to large moving objects at that height.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 20:45:32 »
When visiting Scotland & other beautiful places I have often been appalled by the enormous pylons really spoiling the countryside, hundreds & hundreds of them & wondered why they were ever allowed.  The wind turbines, on the other hand, strike me as beautiful & at least they are actually producing electricity & saving precious resources.  I love watching the ones off the coast at Yarmouth & agree they should be sited on brown field land or at sea.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 21:59:58 »
Froggles - our house is a beauty spot!!

Timmles i hope ya not saying  :o a B&Q wind mill would spoil said beauty stop. ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 22:29:07 »
Well we do live within gorgeous Essex countryside, and I wouldn't object having a windfarm within it.  Rather that than mobile phone towers. 

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 23:46:38 »
I am in favour of wind farms in the right situations.  I feel we must do something to generate our own electricity especially when other resources will run out sometime in the future.  I would willingly have one of the B&Q turbines on the side of my house or in the garden but at the moment they are far too expensive.  It would take several years to recoup the expenditure.    :(

Windfarms can always be taken down at a future date when new technology produces something better.  I am amazed though that the Government does not insist that solar panels and wind turbines are put on all new houses.   :o

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 10:02:49 »
Yes i agree they are too expensive :(, would be nice if the Government met us half way on the price as incentive to have them installed. And like ya say why not in new houses. ???

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 10:08:37 »
there are grants available!!!!!!!!!!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 10:31:00 »
Even with a grant still a tad expensive. :'( :(

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 13:03:58 »
I have to say I really like them. They're really stunning on the horizon. I keep wanting to work them into a painting but it hasn't happened yet. I haven't heard the noise personally but imagine it would be a bit like white noise? (wind/surf type noise or constant hum) That would be fantastic to me! Then again, I actually have a white noise machine at home I had to buy from the US which helps hugely with my attention span and sleeping. It's electric, so maybe in future I need to live near a wind farm so I'm not only saving energy but helping make it instead. :)

Tina.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 13:30:48 »

Elegant.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 16:27:58 »
Beg to differ Emma, thats a blot on the landscape, totally out of place. 

Stick the *******  where they dont spoil an otherwise lovely area. 

grrrrrrrrrrrrr 

We are looking into buying a wind turbine from B&Q, I don't mind them so much, they aren't so big and I agree with Pauline as to why new houses do not have solar panels built into them.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 18:17:05 »
A loverly view spoilt. :'(

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 20:54:38 »
It's official. Turbines are marmite.
I think they are rather striking and as EJ says, really quite elegant. Better than pylons anyway. Is a real shame about the birdies, I'll never forget the day one flew into my back door.  :'(  but it's almost a case of landscape or lifestyle. The planet will be bug***ed if we don't stop draining natural resources and make serious moves towards 'renewable' energy. We can't ( unfortunately) have beautiful totally unspoilt countryside AND masses of cars, roads, boilers, lights, computers, t.vs, planes, industry etc.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 21:50:59 »
Nope, I don't see a lovely view spoilt.  I have visited the Cairngorms when there is no snow, and all the way up are the chair lift pylons and wires, the same when I have been in the Alps and the Rockies.  Drove through a gorgeous quaint village today, and telephone wires drooped from house to house.  Motorways, railway lines, electicity pylons, telephone lines, telephone aeiral towers, buildings, infact, anything manmade could be seen as ruining the landscape, but then we are all human, and lets face it, we all like the comfortable things in life, like power.  Nope, it is a start.  I agree about the tide, as a small Island,  I have never understood why we can't harness not only the power of the shifting tides, but also the water in the seas, if not to drink, then surely just flushing the toilet would save our precious clean water resources. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal