Author Topic: Inexpensive water butts  (Read 5053 times)

ciberman

• Not So New ...
Inexpensive water butts
« on: February 18, 2007, 19:40:30 »
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I can get cheep containers to use as water butts? I live in the Exeter area.

Thanks

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: Inexpensive water butts
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 19:44:26 »
Your council may offer them at reduced price nearer the summer as ours does. I'm lucky in that we already have them on our plot but in her garden my nana uses large wilkinsons bins. Think they're only about a fiver each. Just dips in watering can to access, which can be easier than putting the thing on 3ft of wood so you can get a can under the tap!!  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 19:59:00 »
Ask around, one of our local companies does 50 gallon plastic drums and gives us their old stock...
 8)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 20:30:26 »
If you get a non-standard one remember to cover it cos otherwise the water will get nasty & also animals can drown cos they can't get out. 

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 22:37:54 »
If you're with Southwest water, you can take advantage of this:

http://www.swwater.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=678

incidentally, when you go click the special offer icon the next page tells you that

Offer availabe to South West Water customers ONLY

Oddly enough, there's exactly the same exclusive offer on the Thames Water site!

I think it's a pretty good deal, though, and I'll be ordering the slimline one shortly.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:51:16 »
my nana uses large wilkinsons bins. Think they're only about a fiver each.

I believe they also do actual water butts very cheaply - about 15 quid for a large one (although I'm not sure what large is, am just going by what my friend told me - must go and have a shufty one day as I need one too!)

;)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 10:05:34 »
The water butt I use at home wa spurchased through severn trent water, even though I live in a three valleys water area (they stopped their offer by the way)
These automated systems for ordering over the web often don't care where you live. I tried it thinking if they take the money they will deliver and they did. May be worth "pushing your luck"
Regards
Woppa

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 10:51:25 »
Wilko's have an online store now- can't see any bins but they've got water butts for 14.99 and 19.99 plus postage- doesn't includer adaptor but not a bad price:
http://www.wilkoplus.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=19001&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11502&top_category=11502

ciberman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 12:42:42 »
Thanks for your advice Guys :)

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 13:16:50 »
Check out your local herb/spice/fruit drink dealer as they usually get the raw materials in either drums or even LBC (liquid bulk containers which hold 1000 litres). They normally dispose of them cheap, if not free

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 16:48:21 »
I got an old container at work, total cost nothing. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 23:03:16 »
Welcome to A4All Ciberman.

I'm in Torbay and SWW have an itinerary for where their roadshows will be during the course of Spring and Summer. I'm sure that if you call SWW at Exeter they will be able to tell you when they will be in your area with cheap composters and water butts.

Tricia

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 09:39:03 »
What about large plastic dustbins? (Or even unwanted wheelie bins?). Just pop them on a stack of bricks/blocks, cut a hole in the lid for the downpipe and away you go. OK so you dont have a tap to get the water out. No matter just scoop it out with a can or bucket. Easy.

As for cheapness, well i am sure they dont cost as much as a proper water butt of equivalent size/capacity.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:49:49 by Garden Cadet »

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 15:43:06 »
Hi
Join yahoo freecycle online and post a wanted notice for a water butt or large plastic barrel! I have recently done this and am now the lucky owner of one... better still everything offered has to be free!

Its worth a go ;D
If all fails then try again...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal