Author Topic: Parsnips  (Read 2475 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Parsnips
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 14:18:42 »
Hi

I am planting parsnips for the first time this year and am planting

Parsnip - AvonResister
Parsnip - Merlin F1
Parsnip - White Gem

I plan on putting them into a raised bed (6 inches) which is filled with compost, horsemanure dug into the heavy clay. And i plan on adding bonemeal as a top dressing.

I am going to attempt to grow 1/2 on home made seed tape and 1/2 free sown directly into the place they will be.

Cambourne7

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 14:23:57 »
Sorry guys,

I had the best year ever for parsnips last year.  We are sill eating them now and they taste fantastic.  I am actually going to have to make a large consignement of parsnip soup to use them up!!

I plant them in a different place each year, take them out of the packet and put them into the warm earth, not for another month or so yet.  Then I just wait, nothing more.  I buy gladiator and have never had any germination problems, although I do know a professional gardiner who buys his ready germinated.

It's quite cold at the moment, so i'd give them some time.  Fingers crossed for some nice sunshine soon ;D
The most beautiful things in this world are made by nature, but a little help from wo/man in the food growing department can go a long way.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 14:28:43 »
Hi all,  :)

Last year I planted two 3 row blocks of parsnips side by side - one block of old seed and one of newly bought seed. None of the old seed germinated. They were in the same patch of soil under the same conditions.

I just harvested the last of the parsnips from the new seed and have them stored in a big bucket of earth in my shed.

Col

(I plant most things in blocks of three rows because thats how far I can reach standing in the middle and also cover with one width of fleece, net etc if I need to)
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 17:43:00 »
Parsnips are about the only crop as far as I know where they advise you not to use old seed. :'( :D :D :D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 18:45:08 »
They're only temperamental in the early stages, fortunately. Germination is slow, and if it's cold and damp the seed rots. A neighbour of mine swears by sorwing in February, and his plot is colder than mine. I don't dare plant before April, and even that didn't work last year. Then they need moisture while they get established. Once they've reached a reasonable size, the root goes so deep that it'll find water whatever happens. Only a very few of mine germinated last year, but despite the drought, and getting no watering at all, some of the few are massive.

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 19:42:17 »
I have had mixed success with parsnips over the last few years. I now use a technique that gives reasonable success. However, I would not even consider sowing until April.

I buy cheap multi-purpose compost. I mark out a shallow trench and fill it with this compost. I then sow the seed into the compost and cover it with a little more compost. I think this helps in 2 ways.  I expect the compost will heat up a little more than my heavy clay. Furthermore, when the clay dries it forms a hard crust, which I think makes it difficult for the seedlings to reach the surface. The compost prevents this happening. I have used this technique for parsnips, carrots and turnips with good success.

Thomas

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 08:59:34 »
Thomas,

My next door neighbour on the plot does this - with great success

He's an OAP so I he visits the plot each day and waters when the compost shows signs of drying out

Phil

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 10:22:11 »
I thought I said that, I'll have to check the previous page. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal