Author Topic: Greenfly, a couple of questions...  (Read 2034 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Greenfly, a couple of questions...
« on: February 12, 2007, 11:20:21 »
Will greenfly (in a greenhouse) get caught with a flypaper?
Do they fly around once they have found a plant to eat, or do they just stay there?

Has anybody tried those ladybird nests?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Greenfly, a couple of questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 13:40:30 »
we always plant some coriander and let it go to seed, it brings in the hoverflies and lacewings..they eat greenfly..we got a ladybird house last year so don't know if it worked yet..I worry if the sticky traps will catch the goodies as well as the baddies..some basil by tomatoes is supposed to deter them as well..hope it helps  ;D

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 14:21:46 »
I use those yellow sticky cards that you can buy, they're good at catching quite a lot of the white/greenfly pests. But it has to be said, they are cunning little chaps, so I search them out on the plants and give them the finger and thumb treatment.
 :o

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 00:04:25 »
Washing up liquid solution in a spray bottle is good for killing them if you've got loads.
Blackfly normally head straight for the new growth on my cherry tree.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 22:52:47 »
Once Greenfly have found a host plant, subsequant generations are flighless until the plant is about to die, then the next generation has wings again so they can fly off to find another plant to kill.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 01:23:00 »
If you repeatedly spray with jets of water as soon as you see them on the plants, you can significantly control them. But you do have to keep at it! I was taught that:
The lifecycle is "incomplete", with many generations in a year. Insects over-winter as eggs on tree bark, or any suitable host, hatching in spring as temperatures rise. Female, wingless nymphs emerge and feed, with their piercing and sucking mouthparts. They undergo a series of developmental changes and in approx two months the winged adult stage is reached. Females then reproduce by parthenogenesis, giving birth to live nymphs. The lifecycle continues as before, and the last generation of the year contains males, who mate with the females, who lay eggs, which over-winter. A combination of numbers of large numbers of eggs and nymphs produced, number of generations, the mobility of the winged adult and the large numbers of host plants means that the population can become widespread.
If they are knocked off the plant by water when they are at the wingless stage, it's difficult for them to move onto another plant to feed, so they starve and die.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:27:22 by jennym »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 19:38:08 »
Had to give my roses a good squirt just before it snowed, they were smothered in greenfly........must check tomorrow.
Smile, it confuses people.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 23:19:59 »
.............and the roses were covered in the little blighters, but not any more ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 13:37:44 »
Use to use those yellow sticky cards in my greenhouse they were good but unfortunately they also trapped insects that were beneficial.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal