Author Topic: Plums "Up North"  (Read 1698 times)

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
Plums "Up North"
« on: February 14, 2007, 20:22:34 »
I have been looking through some popular fruit catalogues to see which varieties they recommend as being suitable for the North. Some do not even mention the subject. Of course, "up North" could mean North of Watford, or North of Manchester, or even North of Glasgow! And the growing conditions are quite different for the different areas.
On our allotments in Glasgow, there are about 9 Victoria plum trees, some of great age, and most produce HUGE crops of plums each year.
There are several Merryweather Damsons on our allotments in Glasgow, though they produce very little fruit. It is claimed to be suitable for the North, though the lack of fruit may be due to theft by Squirrels, now a major pest. (If you have any experience of the use of electronic scarers for squirrels, please look at the thread in the pests and diseases section).
The other plums mentioned as suitable for the North are:-
Denniston's Superb, Marjorie's seedling, and Plum Opal.
If others have experience in growing these varieties, in the North, please comment indicating which area you live in.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Plums "Up North"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:10:37 »
Haven't had experience of growing in the north but it'd probably be best to grow later flowering varieties. Have a look at this website and particularly at these varieties:
Golden Sphere Mirabelle, Gypsy Mirabelle, Langley Bullace, Belle de Louvain, Count Althann's Gage, Hackman, Kirke's, Pond's Seedling, Yellow Pershore.
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/searchresultscat.aspx?selection=12

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 09:13:53 »
Try Butterworth's http://www.butterworthsorganicnursery.co.uk/ . I've never had any dealings with them, but they're in Ayrshire, and they say one of their aims is 'To encourage the planting of fruit trees in more difficult parts of Britain, i.e.
the North, West and higher altitudes.'

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 19:22:57 »
Thanks for the links. I have spoken to Butterworth's in the past, and they are recommending most of those that I had singled out.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 21:33:24 »
Thank you for the links Jen and Robert. Our ancient Victoria is beginning to look rather sad and I am thinnking of replacing it with damson or mirabelle.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 18:06:23 »
Mirabelles aren't as tough as they say but those new Crimean ones I've seen advertised might be...
 :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 18:17:41 »
just bought a czar, don't know haow hardy they are, the nursery said they'll be o.k, depends on the weather, I suppose, I'll chuck some fleece over it if need be, it's only titchy  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal