Author Topic: What things do you recycle for the allotment?  (Read 3555 times)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
Re: What things do you recycle for the allotment?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 14:44:03 »

jars with lids - containers for string, labels etc; nail the lid to the underside of the shelf and double up on storage space

Fabulous!  I'll definately be doing that when my dad builds my shed... 2010, then... :(   :D
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 15:52:39 »
Old hoola hoops , retrived from a skip when school was replacing theirs, split they make super large cloche hoops.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 18:03:34 »
Saved all the wirey plastic tie thingys that come with kids toys dolls etc. The ones that tie down the toy and can be a real pain in the bot to undo, will be saving these for tieing up the tommy plants.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 21:10:55 »
I,v just discovered the orible clear plastic box thingy that joints of meat are sold in
fit over a 1/2 tray module thing of seeds (very eloquent tonight thankgawd for spellcheckers and why can,t they do the thinking as well?)
margaret :-[
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 23:51:12 »
All our compostable food gets taken down to the compost bin in my lovely new compost caddy - a recyled item itself & a bargain for £1.50 bought at the local dump ;D....polystyrene bits that new appliance boxes come with gets saved for when I run out of bits of broken pots... old shower curtain & tent poles for netting supports....all my long winter prunings from my new & quite nicely neglected garden will be cut off long for bean/pea supports....shredded paperwork from the office gets put in the compost.....and am currently scouring the local area for pallets to build some more compost heaps...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 08:05:37 »
I've just found the plastic containers that grapes are sold in, with a lid, make brilliant mini propagators, for a plant pot full of flower seeds or leeks. ;D

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 11:40:36 »
I,v just discovered the orible clear plastic box thingy that joints of meat are sold in
fit over a 1/2 tray module thing of seeds (very eloquent tonight thankgawd for spellcheckers and why can,t they do the thinking as well?)
margaret :-[

Aha!  Will have to inform my nan that when she gives me her plastic for recycling, not to chop these into a million billion and one tiny pieces!  Then I can use them!  Yey!

'scousers - I actually have a HUGE store of plastic containers from fruit, fancy mousse type desserts and creme fraiche (the Yeo Valley one has a clear lid) in the hope that one day, they might come in handy.  Now they will!  (Yes, I hoard).
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 16:03:23 »
We have been given the frame from an old tent!,methinks a brassica cage?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 18:16:24 »

What a brilliant idea. I shall start the search for one right now!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 19:05:10 »
Everything gets the lottie once over in our house! I also do the jam-jars lids nailed to shelf, is fab for storage in shed. Latest thing to be rescued from skip is glass shower door. Builders thought I was crackers when I said, can I have this?
Explained it was for lottie and have been promised the butlers sink!!!! ;D
Pond...yay!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 21:13:03 »
that's what ours is, with builders mesh over the top, works great  ;D

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 20:06:09 »
We have  most of the frame to a hexagonal gazebo which got severely damaged a couple of years ago when it got blown into the garden next door, and bent out of recognition. Thinking about trying to use it as the basis of a fruit cage over our Blackcurrants, Redcurrants and Gooseberries, by covering it with a fine mesh net to keep the birds out.
Also have a bag of redundant cds, cdroms from magazine covers etc which we will be using as bird scarers once we get things going at the lottie.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 20:09:36 by quizzical1 »
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal