Author Topic: Moving a greenhouse  (Read 4657 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Moving a greenhouse
« on: February 13, 2007, 13:42:28 »
Just come in for lunch, got the glass out and carried the frame to new location. Only broken one pane so far!
 ::)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 13:45:00 »
Oh! Oh! Oh!.....that's tempting satan...!  :D

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 14:03:31 »
No she's out giving it a going over with Jeyes fluid before I reglaze it!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 18:30:32 »
Too true, we are now four panes down and bad light stopped play so only half the roof is on! Tomorrow to get finished, might be slightly out of true having been shouldered across a couple of lotties!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 18:49:27 »
You could try my OH method of getting glass to fit........after I'd spend hours trying to get roof panes in, he just shoved the whole frame sideways.......!! It worked though....! ;D

I'm suprised your OH didn't keep you inside after being poorly and your earlier  comment........Satan indeed :o ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 22:49:02 »
I found the fork under the base levered it up enough to square it up. Bought new panes and all fitted, still cracked one!
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 22:52:57 »
I found the fork under the base levered it up enough to square it up. Bought new panes and all fitted, still cracked one!
 ;D

I'm convinced that I am fated to never have a whole greenhouse that doesn't have at least one cracked pane of glass in it....one of my new ones has cracked right across the middle, must have been when I was leaning on it to try and get the last bit in...curses! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:51:51 »
Here we have the proceedure...

in the old site... now too shaded by neighbours trees,
disassembled/ glass taken out, we walked the frame entire but getting it over the 6' fence was amusing!

a chance for a good clean before reglazing...

Don't intend to do thay again!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:11 »
That's like the greenhouse we're installing on our lottie  ;D Someone gave it us ... here is the 'saga'

Greenhouse delivered: Only 2 panes broken in transit - bought new ones.

Greenhouse under contruction on allotment, all glass leaning against a fence

High winds: Exactly half the glass smashed - bought new ones

New glass delivered in the morning, greenhouse half-way finished

High winds pm: Aluminium greenhouse mangled and all glass smashed - bought new ones

Decide to relocate greenhouse on allotment 1 instead - dismantled and frame installed yesterday am

Skip arrives pm: Decide to clear out all broken glass and accidentally chuck the triangular bits for the roof in the skip - just off to buy new ones.

This is NOT good for someone who is glass-phobic  ::)

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 11:38:49 »
We had a comparatively easy time of it then!
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 11:58:02 »
Having bought another old greenhouse to 'cannibalize' for the glass for my gales smashed original (most of which did not fit and had to buy more new anyway) :'(, it seems any dismantling of greenhouses turns out to be an expensive exercise!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 14:08:18 »
£10 for new gravel for the footings and £15 in glass is hardly going to break the bank...!

willywinki

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 15:37:13 »

We've just bought our first green house from ad trader and am very (probably overly!) excited about getting it on our allotment........not so much now though!!!!!! :-\

On the plus side it's only 6 x 4, so less glass to break! LOL

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 15:51:43 »
UPDATE: Triangular pieces I bought to replace the triangular pieces I threw in the skip are the wrong size  ::) And I tripped over a rake today and smashed a side panel. Father-in-Law's gonna KILL me!

Mind you, I'm getting on famously with the lads at the glass-cutting place. They know me by name ... and always seem to have a sort of 'smirk' on their faces ... Ho hum!

I'm hoping for 150mph winds next week that blow it RIGHT OUT of the garden and into the next County. I will then invest in a polytunnel  ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 22:37:09 »

Mind you, I'm getting on famously with the lads at the glass-cutting place. They know me by name ... and always seem to have a sort of 'smirk' on their faces ... Ho hum!

every cloud and all that !  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 13:50:51 »
I am moving my greenhouse tomorrow. May seem an obvious question to everyone but do I need foundations for it and then attaching it to the foundations? I'd have thought that the weight would keep it rooted to the floor. The greenhouse is from next door and they have foundations but if I can get away with not having to do them then all the better.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 09:52:08 »
Mokanoo! After my recent experience with the 'wandering greenhouse' in the wind I would recommend foundations.

Ours is now concreted onto bricks, sellotaped to the floor and tied to a privet hedge. Not taking any chances this time  :D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 12:11:54 »
my Norfolk is screwed to a wooden base that was sunk into the ground.  Clay around the outside and filled with gravel inside.

the Hall's is clipped to it's own special base, again the clay and gravel trick and with some additional post concrete around the inside of the base.

they might fall down, but the bases aren't going anywhere.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 18:50:52 »
Trixiebelle, thanks for the advice and it would seem wise to put foundations in, considering my garden is a wind trap and have already replaced 1 whole fence. Was trying to level the ground this weekend but this horrendous weather just made it impossible. Please, please,please let me have a dry spell this week.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 21:43:07 »
Trixiebelle,I just had to send you an electronic hug...XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal