Author Topic: broad beans  (Read 1974 times)

philandbentheflowerpotmen

broad beans
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:06:59 »
Hello all i am a complete novice,so any advice would be much appreciated.
I sowed my broad beans indoors in Jan,as instructed on the packet,they are growing really well,but i have started to get blackness on the tips of most of the leaves,any cures for this or am i just doing something wrong? 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: broad beans
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 15:51:37 »
Could you elaborate a bit more on how you are keeping them! e.g. position, watering, pots.

I have a feeling that the conditions you are growing them in might be a bit too humid.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 02:10:13 »
I was keeping them in my utility room,until they became a bit large,i have transferred them all to my shed,they are in the correct size pots according to the packet,i don't think i am over watering as i am only watering to enough to keep the soil moist.Do you think i should be supporting them in some way as they are drooping all over the place at the minute

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:35:03 »
Utility room and/or shed? Are they getting enough light? If not they will become very leggy, which might be the cause of them drooping everywhere.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:29:09 »
There is a few things here;

I was keeping them in my utility room,until they became a bit large,i have transferred them all to my shed,

As Alan says; it could be lack of light I would add to that and say, that they might be too warm.

Put them out side possibly against the wall of the house in good light, where they will be sheltered and the heat loss from the house should be enough to keep them going.

Have piece of board or a pane of glass at the ready to lean against the wall if frost is forecast. Remove this board in the morning as you leave for work.

they are in the correct size pots according to the packet,i don't think i am over watering as i am only watering to enough to keep the soil moist.

I presume that is a minimum of 3" diameter/square ?

Do you think i should be supporting them in some way as they are drooping all over the place at the minute

I think the answer to that has to be yes!

This droopyness is caused by growing them 'too soft' i.e. too warm and poor light they are very hardy, when you consider that some varieties are sown outdoors in Oct/Nov in order to get off to a good start.

If you have any seed left wait a few weeks and sow a few more to replace any you might lose or they become to 'weedy' to be planted out.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 16:19:24 »
I was wondering if the tips had been frosted, but if you are keeping them in a warm place that doesn't seem likely ??? ???

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 18:44:21 »
I had exactly this problem. My broad beans were tall and droopy and the leaf tips began to turn black. I took them to the lottie to plant out and was the butt of a joke or two.  ::)

I was told that I'd grown them with too much heat (guilty as charged), too little light (guilty as charged) and waited too long before planting them out meaning that the roots had filled the bottom of the pot (yet again, guilty)

They suggested that I plant them out so that the first set of leaves were at soil level... some suggested I bury them completely (on the compost heap  :D)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 20:41:58 »
I planted mine out a few weeks ago under cloches & they are looking wonderful - only thing which is but they are growing strong & healthy.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 21:17:27 »
Harden them off in the garden for a few mild days then introduce them to their permanant home they will love a bit of lottie. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 01:24:10 »
thanks for all your replys,it seems i have done exactly the same as laura b.
I have just got a lottie,it is a bit of a waste ground at the moment.I was hoping for a few more dry days so i could sort a bit of it out in order to plant the beans,which doen't seem to have happened,oh well not the best start to my self-sufficeintishness!!

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 04:17:02 »
Laura, i have done the same as you.  Can you tell me if you did plant them and if so did you put them in deeper?
I have done exactly the same and don't want to go to the bother of planting them if it is likely that they won't 'take', I would be better off growing more and doing it correctly.
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 12:41:39 »
I composted them - I thought it would be easier just to resow them.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 15:17:24 »
Straight in the ground Laura.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 16:26:12 »
Straight in the ground Laura.   ;D ;D ;D

But everyone laughed  :'( ;D

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 01:50:08 »
I am gonna put them in the lottie this weekend,just to see what happens,what should i use to support them
ie:free or v.cheap supporting material

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 16:35:00 »
ours are in, with chicken wire cover to stop the pigeons  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal