Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1982 times)

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
Hello
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:39:41 »
I couldn't see a New Members thread so I started this one... thought I should say "Hi" and introduce myself and my plot.

Hi, my name's Nelson and I'm an allotmenteer ;D

We (Mrs Nelson & me) took possession of a very overgown West Sussex plot in April 2006 and have done our best with it since then.  As you can see it was full of brambles and weeds and looking very much the worse for wear.  The soil is pretty heavy clay and holds the water a bit too well but it seems very fertile.

We didn't get as much done in 2006 as I'd wanted to, but then I guess you never do, but we did clear all the brambles/weeds back to ground level, dig two beds, dimolish the shed and recycle it into a compost bin & edging, deglazed the greenhouse (with the help of local stone throwing youths!), and even grew some veg.  Now the new year is upon us and I have a lot of digging to do, a newish shed to put up (£1 - I love Friday Ad :)), a greenhouse to dismantle and remove, and a baby on the way.

So that's me and my plot.  I hope to be a bit of regular round here and I look forward to learning more about allotmenting.
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:36:06 »
Welcome and good luck for the year.  Are you dismantling the greenhouse because of vandals.  It is a fair size and a pity.  You could try covering it with plastic.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 11:43:23 »
Hello! Busy year you've had and this one's going to be even busier by the sound of it. Congrats on the little seedling ;D

That looks such a great greenhouse, has it really got to go? Have a think about erecting mesh screens over the new glazing?....a f*g to do initially, but might stop the damage from the stone-throwing luvvies?..

Lishka

urbandruid

• Not So New ...
  • It's all about the light...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:08:25 »
Hi Nelson and welcome  :)

I agree with the others - it'd be a real pity to lose the frame, I'd be tempted to reglaze and protect it.  Ah, hang on - it's the shed you're getting rid of, right?

Best of luck for the season, and enjoy!
Peruse my allotment diaries here!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:29:08 »
Welcome Nelson to a great site, plenty of help here if you need it. Wishing you a happy growing 2007
Lorna.

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:58:04 »
It was a hard decision re the greenhouse as it is such a great size but the expense and time needed to renovate it isn't doable.  It's an old style one with tin strips holding the glass in as opposed to the 'W' spring clips the newer ones have. Plus it's in a very poor state of repair and would need a lot of work and cleaning to get it into a managable state.

The plan is to give it away, hopefuly to someone else on the site, and then get in a new second hand one once the ground had been properly cleared.  There are loads of bramble roots to dig out and the old wooden footing for the frame is totaly rotten.

We're thinking it's best to start small with a regular 6x8 and then get another if we need to expand.  If anybody wants it...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 16:04:15 »
Hi nelson and a big welcome to the looney forum, I think I'm the only sensible one on this site, so stick with me and you should be alright. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
PS good luck with the sprod to be. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 16:39:29 »
Hi Nelson, and welcome!  Phew, you're gonna have one busy year then, make sure mrs nelson takes plenty of breaks ;) !

We're newbies too, this will be our first veg growing year on the allotment :o but we've already learned loads from the peeps on this site, so I'm sure you'll do the same.

Keep taking the pics and showing us all your hard work!  Good luck with your veggies and your new addition to the family (when's baby due btw?)  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 17:18:33 »
Thanks all.  Baby is due around the 12th August so plenty of time to get things done before then.

I hope to learn lots from the folks here (and maybe some will learn something from me).  We've had a few chats with a couple of our neighbours but there don't seem to be that many people around. Strange as it's a big and well tended site.  Still, the more I'm there the more people I'll see and the 'new' shed means I can take a wander over in the eveings as opposed to sticking all the tools in the car and driving.

(should I get this thread moved to Locations and Sites as it's not really Shed talk?  If I'm going to update it regularly I wouldn't want in on the wrong board.)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 17:27:48 »
welcome, Nelsons, lots of luvverly people here, great advice and seed swaps..congrats on the new babe, happy planting  :)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 18:53:15 »
Hi Nelson and Mrs Nelson and welcome I am sure you will find everyone very helpful and supportive - it is great to be able to speak to like minded people who will not think you strange if you get all excited over horse poop and mud  ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 22:34:36 »
Hi Nelson and welcome.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 23:38:45 »
Hiya Nelson, and welcome aboard the fabulous site, lots of nice peeps on here always willing to help with anything.
Now if you feel like making the tea for 1000, peeps you can stay. ;D ;D

Kev, every time they let you out for the day you start misbehaving, just because it was 4-0 is no excuse. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 10:46:19 »
Hello Nelson &Mrs Nelson nice to meet ya. :)

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 13:32:30 »
Now if you feel like making the tea for 1000, peeps you can stay. ;D ;D
Sugar?

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 13:41:05 »
coffee for me please ;D

welcome to A4A – I'm still relatively new to the site but have had LOADS of help (and done some swapping) already.
looking forward to seeing more photos!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 16:02:45 »
Cappuccino with lots of chocy sprinkles ;) and a couple of custard creams  ;) please Nelson. Rosebud they let me stay out an extra day per goal.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 22:43:23 »
 ;D ;D Hi Nelson, Mrs Nelson and Bumpy Nelson. This site is brill, loads of fantastic advice and as Bluebird says, you can get excited about horse poop and everyone understands! I'm also in the process of clearing my lottie, it's only half plot so not too bad. Loads of blimmin couch grass.
Happy clearin' and think of all the luvverly veggies you can grow and blend for baby sprout.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 14:40:37 »
Hello! :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal