Author Topic: Frozen ponds again  (Read 1881 times)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Frozen ponds again
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:04:31 »
I know that the best way of creating holes in frozen ponds is by melting. My question is, how often does it need to be done? I went down to the allotment the other day and did my duty, but on calling again a few hours later, it was once more frozen. My main concern is for my frogs who are already moving about.

Thanks in advance

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
Re: Frozen ponds again
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 18:24:57 »
Depending on the size of the pond you could always put a ball in before the freeze comes and that will keep a space free of ice
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 19:37:48 »
It's about 6ft x 4ft. There were already balls in there, but yesterday afternoon there they were resting on the surface of the ice.  Thanks anyway.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 11:52:55 »

This is what I call a pond sedan! lol Quite simple to make and very effective too! The pond only freezes up to the box and not underneath.

1 wooden vegetable box with slats.

1 bag of rabbit straw laid on the top of the box and fastened in place with some plastic sheeting and either nail on or staple to secure it.

Next stage is to make a form of apron round the lower part of the box, at least 8 inches in depth. Nail this on or staple. This, when lowered in to the pond gives the fish some protection.

Make some handles, the width of your pond, with which to lower the "sedan" in to your pond.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 12:11:30 »
Thank you gardenqueen, what an excellent idea. I'll start immediately.  :)

Geoff.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 13:14:36 »
I meant to add that with this "sedan" it's a useful deterrant when the herons are around! They don't quite know what to make of it!

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 19:51:23 »
The idea of having a ball floating in a pond isn't to leave an area free from ice, its to take the pressure of the ice instead of the sides of your pond especially if its a concrete formed pond.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal