Author Topic: Any other ideas?????  (Read 1005 times)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
Any other ideas?????
« on: February 11, 2007, 16:46:31 »
After watching GYOV on Friday was very impressed with the 3 sisters - is there any other veg that can grow in a similar way to help each other ??? ???

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Any other ideas?????
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 16:49:02 »
my understanding is that most accomodate this with companion planting and intercropping.

I am hoping to finish mapping out my beds by tomorrow and will publish them so that you can see what i mean.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 17:36:27 »
Well, you can sow radish along your parsnip row.  The radish germinate quickly, hence marking the row, and they are harvested just as the parsnips are growing so cause no interferrance.

I sow salad leaves amongst my brassicas as they are all long gone before the brassicas have become monsters.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 18:14:27 »
we plant garlic around the runner beans, it helps keep pests off, and marigolds..
onions go between brassicas, the winter onions, so they're coming out when the cabbage etc need the ground more..
I've read somewhere to plant something that grows under, like beetroot, with something that grows above, maybe tomatoes, what do you think ?

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 18:18:33 »
Just need to get as much out of my beds as i can so all ideas worth a try

thanks to all your imput

BB :) ;) :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 00:18:09 »
Hi Blue Bird

If you PM me your email address i will send you my spreadsheet ( and anyone else who wants it till i can get it pubished somewhere ) Its just about finished just have to do the herb/salad bed :-)

I have sketched out 7 beds (4ft by 10ft) 3 beds (4ft sq)

Icompassing just about every crop that i could possiby need and i have taken snap shots of the bed over 2, 4, and 8 week periods to see what needs sowing, harvesting or what additional crops i can pop in.

Cambourne7

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 19:22:47 »
Cheers
look forward to recieving it I am sure it will help

normathomas@supanet.com

Norma x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal