Author Topic: Jerusalem artichkoes  (Read 738 times)

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
Jerusalem artichkoes
« on: February 11, 2007, 13:39:01 »
Help,

I am at the mercy of conflicting advice on whether to move these lovelies or not.  Everyone that I have spoken to says to move them each year.  But I recently watched a program on BBC2 where a chap had had his in the same spot for 25 years!

Also, when's the best time to dig up the ones I want to re-plant and do they need anything doing with them before they go back into the ground ???  I still have 3 plants that I haven't dug up yet as each plant is yealding about 4lb, how long do I have left to harvest them?
The most beautiful things in this world are made by nature, but a little help from wo/man in the food growing department can go a long way.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Jerusalem artichkoes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 13:42:02 »
Get them up as soon as you can. You can leave them in the same spot indefinitely. A good plan is to lift them, and let the ones you miss grow to provide the next crop. Obviously, a bit of manure or organic mulch now and then would be a good thing!

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 13:44:30 »
Great, thanks.

Do they not become susceptible to disease if they are left in the same place?
The most beautiful things in this world are made by nature, but a little help from wo/man in the food growing department can go a long way.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 13:45:58 »
I've never heard of them suffering from anything! I think they're a case of a crop which left its diseases behind when it was brought here. The only danger appears to be depletion of soil nutrients.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 14:28:47 »
You don`t need to move them. But I do-only because I find that missed little ones grow up as `runts`so I replant some of my best tubers elsewhere .

It`s all about what works for you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal