Author Topic: Pond overflow poser.  (Read 2516 times)

Lance-allott

• Not So New ...
Pond overflow poser.
« on: February 11, 2007, 19:20:17 »
Hi Everyone,

Having decided not to put a pond on my allotment I have now installed a small preformed pond in my garden.  I will not be stocking it with fish but I have put in "beaches" and escape routes for mammals. My question is I should have put in an overflow pipe to the side of the pond?

We have had a lot of rain and the pond is now full to overflowing. Does this matter as long as the surplus water seeps away? I have very freedraining soil but am just a bit worried that I might lose free floating plants like frogbit etc. when the pond water reaches the lip of the pond. If I do need to fit an overflow I will have to empty the pond so I have got my fingers crossed on this one.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post,

LA

silly billy

• Acre
Re: Pond overflow poser.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 19:48:55 »
I have never heard of a pond needing an overflow and I have built quite afew for myself and others(except raised ponds for koi).The water will find the lowest point of your pond and leak out there.You won't even notice it.If you had an overflow it would create a lip around the whole pond which you dont want as its a natural pond to encourage wildlife.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 20:10:35 »
How about making a bog-garden next to
the pond so the water can flow into this?

Lance-allott

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 20:15:22 »
That is music to my ears! Thank you so much as my next step is to make a bog garden.

LA

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 20:35:43 »
No probs Lance-allott  ;D ;D

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 11:53:08 »
I have done exactly the same as Agapanthis suggests, and planted a bog garden. My pond is at the bottom of a small slope and the ground was always waterlogged so the answer was to plant up with varieties that love to have their feet wet!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal