Author Topic: Uses for pallets.  (Read 8815 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Uses for pallets.
« on: February 08, 2007, 22:32:15 »
Hello :)

I have a friend who works for BT. He has been looking for somewhere to get rid of all the pallets he gets through. It looks like I will be able to get my hands on loads of them. ;D ;D ;D

I am going to use some for compost bins, and some , taken apart, to make the sides of raised beds.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for uses for pallets, or any suggestions for the best way to make compost bins out of them?

Thanks

cj :)

dgillings

• Quarter Acre
  • Harry with his favourite chocolate friend.
    • The Organic Allotment
Re: Uses for pallets.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 22:52:18 »
Shhh! You can't say things like that around here - your likely to get visiters from all corners of the Europe at strange times of the day and night requested your pallets!!

I'd die for a source like that!

The best plans for a composter I saw was a frame made with the large wooden "beams" of the pallets with the slats taken off and used on the sides - with about a 5mm gap between them to allow the bin to breath. The front had batons both sides with a slot between them so that you could just slide the front in and out when ever you needed to turn it over.

Better still would be a double bin so that you have an active and a waiting bin.

Daniel
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  ~Author Unknown

The Organic Allotment
http://theorganicallotment.blogspot.com/

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 23:00:55 »
Make a frame for cold-frame bases. What about edging for your paths? ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:00:52 »
The best plans for a composter I saw was a frame made with the large wooden "beams" of the pallets with the slats taken off and used on the sides - with about a 5mm gap between them to allow the bin to breath. The front had batons both sides with a slot between them so that you could just slide the front in and out when ever you needed to turn it over.

Better still would be a double bin so that you have an active and a waiting bin.

Daniel

OH made this one....front pieces are removable to get at contents and keep stuff in as they fill.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 14:50:52 »
See that you spend so much time on the lottie Deb you even have a bath there. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 15:54:11 »
Used mine for triple bins 2 for composting and 1 for manure also used 2 to make cold frame
use for steps and have swapped them with neighbours for all sorts of bits and bobs including space in a greenhouse have not got one.

Most of the oldies cannot get them as they have no car so are happy to part exchange for bits or barter for their time

good luck with your DIY ;D

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 20:45:04 »
If you already have a wheel you could make a barrow.  ;D This one was made to carry pallets on to my plot from the road

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 10:41:08 »
I made a fence round my allotment with old pallets look neat and also is free
Sue

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:13 »
Quote from: euronerd
If you already have a wheel you could make a barrow.  ;D This one was made to carry pallets on to my plot from the road
*snip*
Geoff.
Genius!

You should've seen me last night with three pallets balances on top of an ordinary barrow.  I was doing ok until I got to the first plot with a fence, then I crashed into a shed, then the barrow fell off the path and overturned  :-[  Then I gave up and carried the buggers!
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 11:57:17 »
Used as they come, 4 to build a quick compost bin, wire up the corners

Stripped down (which can be bl**dy hard work) re-use timber and nails for:

Compost Bins
Fencing
Door for the Shed
Bed Edging (two planks one above the other nailed to pegs)
Pegs, cut to +/- 15 inches long (and cut lengthwise, thus getting 2 for the wood of 1)
Seed tray ends, then use thin cladding for sides and bottom (T&G cladding dead cheap at Wikes and others)
Compost tray for Potting Shed or Greenhouse
Foundation for DIY shed (ours nearly complete .... it's certainly different and unique on our Lottie site  ;)) 2 pallets laid flat, side by side, shed walls built up with pallet boards, roof is scrounged Steel profiled cladding.

When we had an open fire (some years ago) all the remains were burned, nearest we have come to 100% recycling.

just remembered, the heavy base timbers (4" x 4" or similar) great for holding down sheets of black poly and/or membrane

Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 12:46:26 »
Love that wheelbarrow. I'm going to make one

:)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 12:57:22 »
I visited my folks allotment at the w/e and one of their newer and more enthusiastic members is making a huge chalet type shed from pallets - looks absolutely amazing.  They've also used them to make a fence to enclose their plot.

could make some rustic seating - a bench maybe ?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 16:49:19 »
x one of their newer and more enthusiastic members is making a huge chalet type shed from pallets

Any chance of a pic, as it sounds really interesting. I want OH to build me somewhere nice to have a cuppa. Maybe it will inspire him ;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 18:26:02 »
Any chance of a pic, as it sounds really interesting. I want OH to build me somewhere nice to have a cuppa. Maybe it will inspire him

I'll put a request in, but it might take a little time - dad is having heart surgery next week.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 20:10:34 »
I'll put a request in, but it might take a little time - dad is having heart surgery next week.

dont worry about the pic. You have enough to be going on with. Hope your Dad gets well soon.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 23:54:43 »
If you want whatever you build to last, you might find it a good idea to treat the timber with a wood preservative, as I've found that pallet timber tends to rot quite quickly.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 00:22:59 »
but how do you get the pallets apart??

Whenever i try they split!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 08:29:56 »
Having watched OH take apart loads for my raised beds, there is obviously a knack to it.

He suggests using a small crowbar (or a tack remover) hit with a hammer to get behind the nails, then easing the nail only halfway out.

Do the same to the rest of the nails along the length of the piece of wood.

Hit the back of the nails with the hammer until the pointed end is flush with the wood.

Ease the nails out entirely with the crowbar.

Pallet wood is never of the highest quality and will splinter easily if you whack it too hard or overlever it; as we found out! Hope this helps! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 09:33:52 »
Someone on A4A posted this once. We're making one this summer  :)

http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/cheshire/documents/advice_invertebrate_habitat2.pdf
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 17:10:15 »
Someone on A4A posted this once. We're making one this summer  :)

http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/cheshire/documents/advice_invertebrate_habitat2.pdf

What a brilliant structure! I want one! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal