Author Topic: I have Planted Things  (Read 2634 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
I have Planted Things
« on: January 29, 2007, 13:26:59 »
and feel so much better for it!

so far I've marked out 4 beds, all 13 feet (the length of a scaffold board, planning raised beds eventually) by 5 feet. I've double-dug half the 1st bed but then I ran out of manure, and have lifted the "turf" off the top of the 2nd and 3rd beds so they're brown rather than green (makes me feel better). I was desperate to plant the cheap fruit bushes I bought last week from Poundland but the bit where I want them to go isn't ready so I popped them into the 2nd and 3rd beds for this season. I'm now the proud owner of two fruit beds: 2 gooseberries, 2 blackcurrant and 2 redcurrant in one, and 5 raspberries in the other! eventually they'll be moved to run in one long fruit cage between the path and next door's plot.

I've also now got a rhubarb patch with 4 baby crowns, thanks to a plot neighbour and Doris_Pinks (thanks Doris! ;D).

I don't have to worry about pruning one of my inherited apple trees cos it blew down in last week's winds. a bit sad, but now I get more light and room at that end of the plot.

and not this weekend but the next I've got a delivery of muck arriving! I feel like a proper allotmenteer at last! ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: I have Planted Things
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 14:11:27 »
yahoo, someone else growing their own fruit, I'd like it to be compulsory  ;D
congrats on all your hard work  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 16:06:35 »
Hooray! ;D
Keep up the good work! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 19:14:48 »
Well done!!!!! all that hard work you are making me feel so lazy  :(  can only manage to get down for a couple of hours last week end but managed to dig trench ready for my raspberries (10 plants) and to move 6 barrows of horse poop (with help from two grand daughters aged 8 & 10)

Do not think we can have fruit trees on the site but am going to ask.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 19:56:13 »
yahoo, someone else growing their own fruit, I'd like it to be compulsory  ;D
congrats on all your hard work  :)

This will be my first year harvesting fruit coming up. See how my harvest comes. Growing strawberries (though half the leaves are brown, not sure if they are dead yet - gonna wait till summer and see), rhubarb, and 2 variants of apple trees.

Not sure if its worth the hassle of blackberry bushes as the harvest they produce is minimal to the area of ground used.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 20:19:38 »
blue bird, can't you have fruit trees in pots, patio trees are made for it  ;D

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 20:33:49 »
Wow, that's great! I'm starting at the bottom of the plot and digging the lot, backwards. The plot is 20ft wide but I've had to dig part of the derelict plot next door too, because the previous owner shifted all of the topsoil to one side with a JCB (that's weeding!).

I've double-dug (and replaced the topsoil), to about 9ft up the plot so far. 4ft of that is my bean trench, and the rest is two partial fruit beds. I'm hoping to get those beds finished tomorrow, so I can plant something in them.

I have a jostaberry, eight raspberries, two gooseberries, two rhubarbs and will be getting some raspberries too. Can't wait to actually plant something!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 20:53:06 »
I don't have an allotment - just a small walled garden with a fish pond in the centre of imprinted concrete paving (my predecessor didn't like gardening ::)). Over the past seven years I've gradually removed a summerhouse and lots of shrubs to make room for a veggie plot, so there is really no room for fruit trees - but - last year I planted a pear tree from Lidl as an espalier against the shed wall which is south-facing. I have strawberry plants in three hanging baskets, a 'family' pear tree from Woolies, a victoria plum from Lidl and a morello cherry (which I 'rescued' from being discarded) all in containers. Oh - nearly forgot the rhubarb at the end of a path and the row of Autumn Bliss raspberries against the east wall where the 5m x 2m veggie plot is situated.

My friend Gordon has four apple trees from Lidl being trained as espaliers against a southwest wall. They were planted last Spring. We had four apples from the trees last year and we're looking forward to harvesting a few more this year :P. He also has two gooseberry bushes and a row of summer fruiting raspberries, so together we have quite a selection 8) - roll on harvest time ;D ;D.

Tricia

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 21:10:09 »
sounds like you've got plenty of fruit to me  ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 21:19:59 »
Hey norfolklass, you've been busy!  You're making me feel really bad too, we only spent a couple of hours at the plot last weekend, but in that time we managed to peg out our four beds and main paths, and have started moving some soil around to fill a big ditch the lottie holder next door left when he ploughed the plot for us  ;D.

Can't wait to see some piccies of your hard work, keep it up! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 22:18:27 »
Wow, that's great! I'm starting at the bottom of the plot and digging the lot, backwards. The plot is 20ft wide but I've had to dig part of the derelict plot next door too, because the previous owner shifted all of the topsoil to one side with a JCB (that's weeding!).

I've double-dug (and replaced the topsoil), to about 9ft up the plot so far. 4ft of that is my bean trench, and the rest is two partial fruit beds. I'm hoping to get those beds finished tomorrow, so I can plant something in them.

I have a jostaberry, eight raspberries, two gooseberries, two rhubarbs and will be getting some raspberries too. Can't wait to actually plant something!

Blimey - I thought I had some digging to do!!!!!!!!!

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 23:23:46 »
Hope you've got that poor orphaned Jostaberry in some soil or compost as a temporary measure Laura!
 ;D

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 12:15:33 »
Hope you've got that poor orphaned Jostaberry in some soil or compost as a temporary measure Laura!
 ;D

;D I have! It's in Mr Innes' finest in a huge pot in the back garden  ;)

Only another 15ft to dig up the plot before all of the fruit beds are finished and it can go in.

That leaves 116ft for the veggies  ::). Happy digging!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 18:06:42 »
i managed to get 30 garlic cloves in today!!

Yippie

jo9919

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 18:08:11 »
I'm just about to plant some garlic cloves in a pot. Should I stand this outside straight away?

Jo.

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 18:16:05 »
Worried to have something that big in a pot - how often to water is my biggest problem tend to drown things
Would love to have a cooker apple though - bramley or something similar ???

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 20:01:48 »
My garlic is up, and some shallots. Sowed about 60 chitted broad bean seeds today, to join the 50 or so that are already up, and 75 shallots a few days ago. Lovely feeling.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal