Author Topic: Its a proffessional hit job...  (Read 2342 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Its a proffessional hit job...
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:58:34 »
>:( >:( >:(Last night over a dozen allotments were broken into. Most of those that were done had petrol equipment stolen - strimmers, grass cutters, rotavators. As well as vandalism, all locks were cut off with industrial bolt-cutters - a clean cut on each. All tools were also stolen. Nothing inside the sheds were vandalised, though some had the doors smashed to shreds. They knew exactly which ones to hit.  >:( >:( >:(

Only consolation is that a mobile phone was left behind on one plot. It is now in the hands  of the police. Not that they do much where allotment criminal activity is concerned.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Its a proffessional hit job...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:00:25 »
Gosh, the problem is now is the time people on allotments are strimming and rotivating so your more likly to have expensive equipment on plots.

Did you lose anything??

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:06:30 »
 Oh I am so sorry that this has happened. There are some nasty *****'s about these days. Out for an easy buck. They don't have any respect for anyone or anything even themselves. It makes me so angry and although I don't agree with violence I feel like doing them some serious harm. Every time we go to the plot we half expect something to have been done. Sad world we have to live in eh!
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:12:20 »
We reckon they had a large vehicle due to the nature and quantity of equipment gone. I was fortunate as my plot was on the opposite side. They did the entire left side of the site from top to bottom. Does not mean to say they wont be back to do the right as they got such a good haul...... best watch out for carboot sales ???

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 12:14:50 »
they dont need a van just a couple of wheelbarrows, thats what they used to carry our stuff away last time a member of the public even stoped them but the police took 40 min to get there so by then they were away and by the way this was a 14 and 16 year old

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 13:06:57 »
Professionals hit our site a couple of years ago  - they took every single large pumpkin that they could find. Many of the pumpkins had been grown especially for harvest festivals or halloween and were pretty big, so a van must have been needed as well as several people. The site has a locked gate so the thieves must either have had a key or been friends with one of the households who border two sides of the site.Sometimes the world we live is not very nice.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 13:17:31 »
really sad to hear about this. it makes me so angry, too.

I know it's a bit late for people who've already had their equipment stolen, but would it be worth personalising what's left and making it unattractive to thieves, eg painting it bright and gaudy colours? and making sure all the expensive kit has been postcoded so that if it does turn up at car boot sales, it's traceable? apparently some tools taken from our site turned up at a car boot in Kings Lynn and the owner happened to be there, spotted them, and got them back. I know there's only so much prevention that can be done, and if thieves are equipped with bolt cutters and vans they'll be determined to go away with something, but it's going to be more difficult for them to sell on something that's got yellow or pink stripes all over it...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 13:37:33 »
What can one say? So sad.

Around here we only lose Staddle Stones & Stone Troughs. Fortunately the last trough to go was recognised in an 'Architectural Centre' by its maker - had his mark on it.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 17:44:08 »
I believe those staddle stones are worth quite a bit of money now Tim.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 17:45:20 »
We've had this sort of problem occasionally; out plots have hedges and a lot of them are hard to get into, but now and them we've had someone go round with a lorry looking for pickings. Another unpleasant thing has been prostitutes bring their clients down. We're a lot more careful about keeping the gate locked now we've got a new committee, and there has been an apparently targeted attack on a couple of plots.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 17:59:06 »
We're a lot more careful about keeping the gate locked now we've got a new committee, and there has been an apparently targeted attack on a couple of plots.

We have fences and hedging we have done ourselves but nothing like a perimeter fence with access gate. Access to the site is fully open always.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 18:21:25 »
Beware of the return trip... if the plot holders are insured they will probably be back in 4-6 weeks for the brand new replacement kit..
 >:(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 18:24:26 »
Clever thought?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 22:29:34 »
Experience sadly, one plotholder was done three times before he took the hint and took his kit home with him!
 :'(

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 07:51:06 »
How awful for you all but like Saddad say they will be back again for more easy pickings

Check on E Bay too !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal