Author Topic: First year apples  (Read 1455 times)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
First year apples
« on: May 04, 2004, 10:12:06 »
Hi,

I planted some apple trees (which I'm training as stepovers) this year, and have read that it is better not to let them fruit in the first year so that they establish well.

What I would like to know is should I take the blossom off now or can I leave it and remove the apples as they form? It seems a shame to lose the flowers.

Jeremy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:First year apples
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 10:15:52 »
If it were me, and I am no expert, I would remove the fading blossom so you can at least enjoy them whilst they are looking gorgeous.  Also, if it were me, and I am probably going to be told now all the reasons why I shouldn't do this, but I would leave a couple to develop, I wouldn't think leaving one or two would slow the trees progress  :) and you can have the pleasure of sampling its fruits in the late summer.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:First year apples
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 10:26:05 »
That was quick :)

Good idea the fading blooms, that should be the best of both worlds and will please my wife, who wasn't keen on me putting them there in the first place! She doesn't know about the 45 degree canes yet either :(

It would be good if I could leave one or two on, especially as one variety (Katy) was bought because it's my daughters name and she loves apples.

Jeremy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal